RING DOORBELL PRO - can I use a plug? or need transformer?

He can do it himself, if he takes adequate precautions.

Is he competent and is he fully aware of the all the precautions that are necessary to take when working in a consumer unit.

There is no requirement to say that only a competent electrician can carry out work in a consumer unit.

Are you saying that it is acceptable for a non competent electrician to work in a consumer unit.

There is no requirement to say that only a qualified / certified electrician can carry out work in a consumer unit

Sponsored Links
hi chaps

thanks for the comments yesterday

ideally i would like to install in the consumer unit because

1. its boxed with a flap lid - so i dont have space for anything else really
2. i dont really want to spent any extra money if ring have provided a transformer unit themselves in the box

i wont be doing myself. i have a friend who is part qualified and will only charge me £50

i just thought i'd try and gather some thoughts before he comes

it does seem like its just a case of putting the transformer in the consumer unit - and then wiring up to the bell outside.....i hope!!!!
but as i said any personal experiences or stories would be great

i just cant find a step by step on youtube

as i said the plug option would be great - but it seeems they get too hot

thanks all for your help!

my friend and i managed to do it all :)

for anybody in the future that has no existing doorbell and space on the consumer unit

- 6 amp breaker plus ring's transformer installed on the CU
- used the bypass kit they give too (this regulates it all)
- their support phone number are helpful can send diagrams for install if needed etc
- https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjekLuI7tzjAhWFQEEAHSgQBLQQ9aACCEk&adurl=

this was the bell wire i used

had 30 volts on when we tested via his multi meter
need 8-24v it said.

all working well so far :)

There is no requirement to say that only a competent electrician can carry out work in a consumer unit.
He can do it himself, if he takes adequate precautions.

There absolutely is a requirement for any electrical alterations, beyond changing a lightbulb, to be carried out by a qualified electrician.

Creating a new circuit within an existing installation would require a Minor Installation Works Certificate, to be kept with the original installation certification (which is often not present but nonetheless a requirement of BS7671 and, I assume, home insurance providers). The certification must be produced by an electrician with the appropriate testing and inspection qualifications.

Also, although it may work, someone that is not qualified is highly unlikely to install the circuit to a standard where it would be able to pass an inspection. Finally, and most importantly, ignorance of the dangers within domestic installations can easily prove fatal. Even going to the hassle of switching off the CU main switch does not guarantee it is safe to work. It is far from uncommon to find situations where DIY homeowners and even cowboy electricians have carried out works which bypass the essential safety features of the installation.

Sponsored Links
Did it really take you two years to compose that?
I will take issue with some of your points.
There absolutely is a requirement for any electrical alterations, beyond changing a lightbulb, to be carried out by a qualified electrician.
Absolute rubbish. Domestic electrical work can be carried out by anybody. The only requirement is that it must be done safely.
Creating a new circuit within an existing installation would require a Minor Installation Works Certificate, to be kept with the original installation certification (which is often not present but nonetheless a requirement of BS7671 and, I assume, home insurance providers). The certification must be produced by an electrician with the appropriate testing and inspection qualifications.
creating a NEW circuit, and other larger works such as changing a consumer unit, would require an INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE and would have to be notified to the local authority. Works such as modifications to an existing circuit does not need notification.
All this work does not need the god-like attention of a qualified electrician. The average competent DIYer can carry out most electrical works in their own home.

You are contending that even a simple task, must be done by a fully qualified electrician. Wrong.
Anybody can carry out most works. This includes items such as changing a couple of light switches or replacing a fan, or adding a spur to an existing circuit to power a new socket.
I grant that any electrical work should be properly tested. Bs7671 (a non-statutory document) recommends that a test certificate is produced to record the tests carried out. This can be done by the DIYer with the appropriate test equipment. Again, there is NO requirement for an certificate (full EIC, or MWC) to be carried out by “by an electrician with the appropriate testing and inspection qualifications”.

Also, although it may work, someone that is not qualified is highly unlikely to install the circuit to a standard where it would be able to pass an inspection.

Some DIYers do have the skills and knowledge to install circuits to a safe standard even though they do not have a qualification in electrical installations. As they are installing in their own home they are more likely to take due care over the installation to prevent harm coming to their family.

A qualification can prove the person passed an exam and/or a skills test. It does not prove that the person well be competent in all the electrical work he or she carries out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back