Ring extension load

What are we to make of this:
I would take it to mean that for single and double sockets the rating is 13A per socket maximum. In other words, 13A total for the single socket and 26A total for the double.

The triple obviously contains a BS1362 fuse, hence 13A total across the three.
Yup, that's how I think most of us interpreted it. But then someone, maybe StillP posted a quote from MK that contradicts it

Sponsored Links
Maybe they have changed the product.

They would hardly be the first manufacturer to lower their standards in order to increase their profits or sales.

No they wouldn't, but I suspect it would be unwise of them to not replace the specification in their current product brochure with the data from the quote StillP (again, apologies if it was someone else) posted.

You could posit, that if you were to draw 26a from one of their sockets, and it failed, that MK had said it was OK to do so.

Not if they no longer say so wrt their current products.

Although I'm with John - it beggars belief that the BSI ever countenanced allowing DSOs to not be able to cope with 2x13A indefinitely.

Sponsored Links
Although I'm with John - it beggars belief that the BSI ever countenanced allowing DSOs to not be able to cope with 2x13A indefinitely.
Indeed, even if in many locations it may be unlikely that both sockets will have a 3kW or so load simultaneously, it's certainly quite possible, and for that reason it seems very remiss to allow double sockets to overheat to the point of becoming dangerous if subjected to that load.

I would take it to mean that for single and double sockets the rating is 13A per socket maximum. In other words, 13A total for the single socket and 26A total for the double.
Yup, that's how I think most of us interpreted it. But then someone, maybe StillP posted a quote from MK that contradicts it
We've discussed this umpteen times before and you may recall the discussion I reported having had with an MK tech support guy. He said that he didn't really know for sure what it was meant to mean, and that the Technical Dept had very little control over the content of either catalogues or (wait for it!) Technical Data Sheets, since they were essentially written by the Marketing Dept! However, his "personal opinion" was that one should not rely on MK double sockets being able to safely tolerate sustained loads in excess of those required to achieve compliance with BS1363.

Kind Regards, John

I would also question this:
Remember that in the 40s and 50s any load over 1 kW was quite unusual in a domestic situation.

There were plenty of two-bar (and for that matter three-bar) electric fires in use then, more so than today given that central heating was still comparatively rare in British homes at that time. And how about the ubiquitous electric kettle, normally at least 2kW? (Although to be fair, most were probably connected to the single socket incorporated into the cooker control unit.)

Twin tub washing machines with integral heaters became more popular too. While the chances of a washer and dryer being connected to the same double socket have, I would say, increased immensely in more recent times, I think it would be fair to say that outside of the kitchen & utility areas the loads on 13A sockets around most of the house have, on average, probably decreased.
In the 40s and 50s? Yes, there were two-bar electric fires, usually 500W per element. Three-bar were avail;able, but rare. Electric kettles were fairly unusual until the late 50s, and the early ones were 1kW. Twin-tub WMs were also a 50s development. Not sure what heater ratings were available, but my in-laws' twin-tub bought in the 1960s was 1.5kW.

That picture you posted is from their current catalogue (as was mine) so if they wish to say otherwise, they need to update their literature.
Blimey - it's Issue 48 which is donkeys years old. Bit remiss of them if it is also the latest one.

In the 40s and 50s? Yes, there were two-bar electric fires, usually 500W per element.
I've sent plenty of two-bar fires from the 1950's era which are 1kW per element. Ditto for electric kettles of 2kW or so from the early part of the decade. Obviously usage increased during the 1950's, but they were around in the late 1940's when the BS1363 standard was developed. After all, wasn't the 13A rating chosen specifically to allow for up to a 3kW load?

Wonder why Europe went for 16A. Because they were 220v ?
Possibly. Or it might possibly just be because 16A (just like 10A, 25A, 40A and 63A) is part of the most basic series of Renard preferred numbers (whereas 12A and 13A are not).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back