Ring extension load

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that John. I am familiar with the finer divisions used for component values, but never realised that the mcb values were the 'divided into 5' values.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that John. I am familiar with the finer divisions used for component values, but never realised that the mcb values were the 'divided into 5' values.
Indeed. The basic 'R5' Renard series is just 1.0, 1.6, 2.5, 4.0 & 6.3. That gives us (after rounding 6.3 to 6), the familiar MCB sizes of 6A, 10A, 16A, 25A, 40A and 63A. Perhaps more to the point, the 'R10' series includes (in addition to the above) 2.00, 3.15, 5.00 and 8.00 - thereby giving us (after rounding) the 20A, 32A, 50A and 80A MCBs (and also 3A, which one occasionally sees).

Interestingly (in terms of how this discussion started), the R10 series also includes 1.25, so a 13A MCB (after rounding) would have been a possibility - but 'they' presumably decided that it was 'not needed'!

Kind Regards, John

Interestingly (in terms of how this discussion started), the R10 series also includes 1.25, so a 13A MCB (after rounding) would have been a possibility - but 'they' presumably decided that it was 'not needed'!
It would only have been useful to the UK (and a few countries that use UK wiring accessories) so would have been difficult to get a consensus to include them in IEC 60898.

The Merlin range of values seems never ending! I've seen 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,13,15,16,20,25,30,32,40,45,50,63

It would only have been useful to the UK (and a few countries that use UK wiring accessories) so would have been difficult to get a consensus to include them in IEC 60898.
That sounds credible but, as has been said, it has not stopped some manufacturers from producing 13A (and other 'unusual') MCBs. If the In of the MCB not mentioned in the Standard, does that preclude the manufacturer claiming compliance with it?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back