running a heavy load on a fused spur

ok, guys thanks for the replies. Although exasperated, I really appreciate it.

Having done a bit of research, I have stumbled on RCBOs, combined MCBs and RCDs.

I replaced all my old fuses with MCBs a while back, which just clipped in.

Do RCBOs fit in the same way?

Would anyone recommend replacing all MCBs with RCBOs? Or is this just a silly expense versus taking the hit and getting a new 17th edition CU installation done by a pro which I assume has built in RCBs?

Are there any circuits that should not have an RCBOs (i.e. my new circuit that will have a freezer and nuisance tripping will cause food to spoil)

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am installing a washing machine and dryer with an occasional iron in the basement and need to install the sockets for these. I want to run a 3metre spur from the existing socket ring system on the ground floor. The appliances all used to be plugged into this ring system but now will run from the spur in the basement.

As the appliances are heavy load, I intend to use 2.5mm2 cable for the spur and to fuse the spur with a 13amp fuse. The cable will be clipped to the wall rather than running through plaster.

Is my proposed wiring safe? Will the fuse constantly blow? Should I just get a dedicated circuit installed for the basement?

thanks!

What was wrong with your original solution? If the spur has a 13amp fuse then what's the problem?

Sponsored Links
No you can't just plug in RCBO's like your old MCBs.

It sounds like a new CU would be an advantage.

Do you have an RCD near the CU ? Could you post a picture please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back