Ring extension load

In my opinion you are pushing it a bit. Also one day the appliances may change, but the twin socket will still get used. In my utility room, I have two separate single sockets for the washing machine and tumble dryer (part of the ring final). This is based on experience of fully loaded sockets (even MK) overheating.

If you have the chance you could:

• (BEST) extend the ring final through two new single sockets (can be mounted in a Dual Accessory box), or
  • (IF YOU HAVE TO) run two spurs to single sockets (these would preferably come from different places on the ring, but don't strictly have to)
Or you could do what you are planning and probably get away with it.

By the way - fuses will not prevent the overheating problem, so don't rely on them.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion you are pushing it a bit. Also one day the appliances may change, but the twin socket will still get used. In my utility room, I have two separate single sockets for the washing machine and tumble dryer (part of the ring final). This is based on experience of fully loaded sockets (even MK) overheating.

If you have the chance you could:

• (BEST) extend the ring final through two new single sockets (can be mounted in a Dual Accessory box), or
  • (IF YOU HAVE TO) run two spurs to single sockets (these would preferably come from different places on the ring, but don't strictly have to)
Or you could do what you are planning and probably get away with it.

By the way - fuses will not prevent the overheating problem, so don't rely on them.
Thanks for all info from yourself and the others.

Problem is that most is actually already done.

During a house rewire (fully certified) the electrician forgot to put the socket for washing machine/dryer in utility room so he wired a fused spur to double socket. This stopped working after a few weeks as the 13 amp fuse was overheating (not tripping, the switch just became very stiff and wouldn't work till it cooled down). It was then that I asked around and was advised that the 13amp fuse cant handle both machines if they are both using their heating functions. Someone suggested blanking out the fuse and connecting with connector block.

That is my question.

Ah. that's a bit different - and wrong as you have found.

Replace the fused connection unit.
You could use a blank and connectors or fit a socket in its place and have an unfused spur (the spur being the cable).

Ah. that's a bit different - and wrong as you have found.

Replace the fused connection unit.
You could use a blank and connectors or fit a socket in its place and have an unfused spur (the spur being the cable).

Thanks. This is what I have had done but was not using yet...

Is there any way I can monitor whether it is overloaded/overheating? Will the sockets melt/blacken if there is a problem? Will the appliance cables become hot?

OR is my first warning a fire?

In the interim I have been using a short 1m extension wire 1.5mm from another socket and this seemed to be working fine... I know highly unrecommended but it is on the ring and external so I assume I would see if something going wrong.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The cables (if 2.5mm²) will be alright.

It is just the doubt about the double socket - as above.

You are able to plug in two 13A devices but the manufacturers claim they are not made for this.
It doesn't make sense but there it is.

Of course, your appliances may not be 13A each.
Washing machines may be 1700 Watts - about 7A.

Meh... I'm seeing nearly 20A on a cable rated at around 13.5A.

As I said - I wouldn't be happy with it in my house.

That's only the temporary lead being used which has suffered no damage.

The actual spur is 2.5mm².

IIRC

I was talking about the 2.5mm² spur buried in insulation in a stud wall.

The OP said it was 1.5 m and travelled through an insulated stud wall.

Ah. I see, found it.

Well 13.5A would be for completely surrounded by insulation.
The CCC otherwise would be 21A so it depends.

The OP said it was 1.5 m and travelled through an insulated stud wall.
The temp one I am using is 1.5 extention wire and external - it is plugged into a socket not wired in. It is one of those 4 socket extention wires. The one the electrician installed is 2.5mm and in insulated stud wall.

Seems easiest option now is to use the washing machine off the spur and the dryer off the extension cable to other socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back