Ring lighting circuit wiring confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I'm having a bit of a problem wiring a light in one bedroom. The light was flickering and if i tapped it, it would work ok. However last night it started making a crackling noise so decided to try and fix it.

After opening it, i took out the light and neutral wire off the lampholder, and noticed two neutral/black wires twisted together and going into the "loop" fitting on the holder, which was lose. So i tightened it back up. However i could not remember in which port the blue and brown lamp holder wires went into. I tried different combinations but no luck. There were also 3 red wires twisted together in one connector.

At one point, i had the lamp on when the switch was in the on AND off position.

I've tested the black and red wires which are coming off the main ring, and they were both showing as 240 on the multimeter. However when i try for a voltage on the brown and blue lampholder connector, i get no voltage.

I've taken a picture of how its connected up. Can someone please advise where the wires should go?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
After opening it, i took out the light and neutral wire off the lampholder,
And that's all you removed from the rose? The 2 wires going to the lampholder?

and noticed two neutral/black wires twisted together and going into the "loop" fitting on the holder, which was lose...There were also 3 red wires twisted together in one connector.
Those were the only other wires there?

You didn't change anything?

I've tested the black and red wires which are coming off the main ring, and they were both showing as 240 on the multimeter. However when i try for a voltage on the brown and blue lampholder connector, i get no voltage.
What else is connected to the terminals you've connected the lampholder wires to?

I've taken a picture of how its connected up.
It might be helpful if you posted it here then.

Can someone please advise where the wires should go?
Yes:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back