Ring Main Alteration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due toaconversion going on at home I need to move a double socket from a wall that will eventually be knocked down. All the cabling in this area was accessable apart from the feed going to the next inline socket As space was tight and a sleeper wall exist's between the rooms and I don't need the socket I have pulled the cables under the floor and re connected them using 30 Amp connector block. I have also placed the connection inside a IP65 rated inclosure fix to a joist. The question is have I done anything wrong as safety comes first.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a first rate job to me. It makes a change from crawling under some floor and finding junction boxes lying on damp ground with old wood scraps and pipe insulation on all sides.

rockdg said:
Due toaconversion going on at home I need to move a double socket from a wall that will eventually be knocked down. All the cabling in this area was accessable apart from the feed going to the next inline socket As space was tight and a sleeper wall exist's between the rooms and I don't need the socket I have pulled the cables under the floor and re connected them using 30 Amp connector block. I have also placed the connection inside a IP65 rated inclosure fix to a joist. The question is have I done anything wrong as safety comes first.

from a safety side there is nothin wrong. but the regs do say that a JB needs to be accessable incase there is a fault. under a floorboard is not easily accessable

you could crimp it using a rachet crimp tool inside the ip65 enclosure...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys lads. As for the reg's saying a junction box should be accessible surely if i got under the floor to make the connections then it becomes accessible for repairs. One other question, are the regs ie 16th edition made by electricians who have spent years on the tools or by desk top pen pusher who spent years at university?

Thanks for the replys lads. As for the reg's saying a junction box should be accessible surely if i got under the floor to make the connections then it becomes accessible for repairs. One other question, are the regs ie 16th edition made by electricians who have spent years on the tools or by desk top pen pusher who spent years at university?

nfo0120l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back