Ring main or Radial for sockets in extension?

OP - don't let Winnie put you off. If you want to use Fused Connection Units then do it. The useful part is the double pole switch and there are good reasons for having one accessible.

Sponsored Links
Consider if the appliance develops a fault that cause the RCD to trip then access to a means to isolate the appliance is necessary to allow the RCD to be reset. ( Isolate mean Live and Neutral disconnected ). If the plug is easy to access then pulling the plug achieves quick and easy isolation.

If the socket is behind the appliance and the appliance is difficult to move then a remote and accessible double pole isolator will enable the RCD to be reset without having to move the appliance.

Yep, that's what I was thinking also. The washing machine / dryer sockets are behind those appliances so not easily accessible (without dragging them out from under the worktop) so a fused spur is a quick and easy way of isolating them. I suppose it's just preference though. I'll probably do it that way as, at the moment, the extension build is just a blank canvas - no plasterboard etc - so very easy to work in. :) Thanks

OP - don't let Winnie put you off. If you want to use Fused Connection Units then do it. The useful part is the double pole switch and there are good reasons for having one accessible.
Thanks, I've already got the FCU's on the wall so will just re-run the cable to the new outlets. As you say, it's handy to have that isolation switch :)

An old electrician I know runs ( or at least he did before retiring ) a separate Earth conductor from the last socket on a radial back to the CU to create a "ring" of the Earth conductor. He referred to it as a way to ensure Earth continuity and I believe he adopted this following an incident that resulted in injury.

Sponsored Links
High integrity earthing - done for other reaasons.

One might be cruel and say "Too late".

Or

Campaign for all appliances to have two earth terminals like sockets so that it may be done on all circuits.

Thanks, I've already got the FCU's on the wall so will just re-run the cable to the new outlets. As you say, it's handy to have that isolation switch :)
If you want an isolation switch fit a double pole switch not a FCU. But if the machine develops a fault it will need to be pulled out anyway to fix it so no real need for local isolation.

This is completely true.

Conceptually, if you have both a fused plug and a fused connection unit on the same load, either or both might blow in the event of a fault, which might be slightly inconvenient.

IME, the fuses on household appliances burn out approximately zero times per lifetime of appliance.

I did once have a moulded plug fuse pop repeatedly after a burst pipe had poured filthy sooty water over it. I cut off the plug and fitted a new one on the flex and it has never blown again.

20A switches are more expensive than 13A spurs.

The problem is you need to know which one has the fault to pull out! (its always the last one)
Switching them off helps you know which one, rather than pulling them all out

If the socket is behind the appliance and the appliance is difficult to move then a remote and accessible double pole isolator will enable the RCD to be reset without having to move the appliance.

this is also completely true.

And a switched FCU has an isolation switch.

20A switches are more expensive than 13A spurs.

The problem is you need to know which one has the fault to pull out! (its always the last one)
Switching them off helps you know which one, rather than pulling them all out

this, too, is completely true.

in a kitchen, especially, I would say it is best practice to have switches or FCUs running along the wall in a row above the worktop for the appliances beneath, and those above such as extractor hoods, and including spare ones for places where you might possibly want another appliance in future. Your numerous switched double sockets should be in the same row. This is quick and easy and economical when you are wiring a kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back