ring main query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When connecting the two 2.5mm T&E cables from the ring main to the consumer unit, do you connect both live to the same MCB or to 2 separate ones? I ask because I have been offered an MK consumer unit at a reasonable price, but am unsure if there would be enough connectors. Of course I will be getting an electrician to change the unit.

Sponsored Links
You connect both lives to the same mcb on the RCD side of the board might be good idea to ask the electrician to do it while he is there

I ask because I have been offered an MK consumer unit at a reasonable price.
What is the spec of the CU? Is it the right sort for the type of supply you have?

What is the price - are you sure it's reasonable compared to what your electrician would pay for one?

Sponsored Links
What is the spec of the CU? Is it the right sort for the type of supply you have?

What is the price - are you sure it's reasonable compared to what your electrician would pay for one?

The spec is 3 x 32, 1 x 16, 2 x 6 and 1 x 40. The unit is still boxed and has never been used. The price is £20. [/quote]

So it's not a split- or dual-busbar design, it just has a switch incomer, and no RCDs or RCBOs at all.

It doesn't sound suitable - consider that it might be cheap because it doesn't comply with the latest Wiring Regulations and is just being dumped onto the market.

Of course I will be getting an electrician to change the unit.
Then let him specify and source the CU - even if you do save a small amount overall by supplying one yourself (which is far from guaranteed BTW) you probably won't get a guarantee from him.

Thanks 'Ban-All-Sheds' for the comments. There is obviously more to electrics than I had envisage and so will not bother. I will leave it to the experts, probably save me money in the long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back