Ring Main Wiring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post here, and great site by the way.

In one of the bedrooms I am adding an additional power outlet. On lifting the floorboards I found (conveniently!) a junction box. It looks like the ring main has been spliced and a spur taken off to the other side of the bedroom for the power outlet there.

Is it okay for me to take a spur off this i.e. ring main with two spurs, or should I be doing something else?

Cheers,

Dean

Sponsored Links
why not make the new socket part of the ring (and the other one too)

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Because its an old house with really high floorboards with megathick plaster, which I have found out makes a total mess!! (isnt chasing out brick fun, not!!), and there is already a small hole I can use for routing the cable.

I admit this would be the ideal choice, but just wanted to check its legal and good practice to have multiple spurs off a junction box. I believe I use minimum 2.5mm cable.

Desn

its bad prctice and not allowed, which is why i suggested as i did

Sponsored Links
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know.

Should I remove the original spur as well, this will be a real bugger as its plastered halfway up the wall so would have to be chased out.

Dean

You could keep the existing spur as it is to avoid chasing out plaster. But run two 2.5 cables to your new socket and wire it in as a ring. You'll need two JBs next to each other, unless one of the ring legs can be re-routed to your new socket in which case do that.

And these joint boxes must remain accesible as per regulation 524.3

Thanks for the advice. Removed the spur and connected the ring main to the new outlet.

First time plastering too, what a messy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back