Ripples in plasterwork ok? Please rate the plaster job done.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had some plastering work done and wanted to get your advice as to whether the job has been done to standard or a not as it's the first time I’ve had plastering done.

Job comprised of:
• Full re-plastering and skim of walls which were taken back to brick for damp proofing
• Perimeters of walls done: 3.2m * 2.5m wall, 4.6m * 1.2m, 3.5m * 2.5m, 2.5m * 1.2m, 1.5m * 1.2m, 2m * 1.2m (6 walls in total)
• Build of house 1900 ish to walls not that staight

Finish of job
Ok overall but quite messy – splashes of plaster on ajoining walls not being plastered and on floor when not covered properly
Plug sockets half covered with plaster
Plaster not quite down to floor far enough on one wall so there is a small gap between it and the skirting board
‘ripple’ feel on two of the walls as you run your finger down it

I've included some photos of the job - including the ripple effect on the kitchen internal plaster photo...

Is the above normal? I’ve been reading a bit on forums and seems some of it is?

Paid a reasonable amount for the job so want to know whether I need to go back to them to get some improvements done or cut my loses and speak to someone else...?

Really appreciated your views

Sponsored Links
Looking at the pics of the scratched areas, it looks as though they have given up trying to render, and just put finishing plaster straight onto the scratched/rough areas. That's why you can feel the "ripples effect" in the finished plaster. It'll look even worse when painted too. Shoddy looking work in my opinion. The gap at the skirting, the plaster on the switches, the splashes of plaster on adjoining walls, floor not covered properly,, typical of people who are just guessing how to plaster. I think the person who did that job is a chancer, not a tradesman. Overall, very poor quality and if i were you, i'd get a reputable local plastering firm in to give you his "on site" opinion/verdict on the work done, in the meantime, if possible, freeze any payment.

holy **** id get them back and them to to sort it all out or your send them the bill for a real spread to sort it....

that is shocking the only time youd scratch a ll up like that is if its get a 2nd coat up then rules devil floated for setting (finishing)...
or for a tiler even then its only gets a light scratch as for the floor line (skirting)line well i take backing coat/finish coat too the floor or just up 20mm from floor max.....
what did they use for backing coat was it a damp job???

id goo potty if was told its finished or its ready to paint numptys

I am not a plasterer, but it's my opinion that someone capable of doing a good job would have done it

therefore no point in asking the same person back

I wonder if the hot weather made it more difficult? Someone was telling me recently that he had to go and replaster a wall at 6am because the heat during the day made it go off too fast.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the hot weather made it more difficult? Someone was telling me recently that he had to go and replaster a wall at 6am because the heat during the day made it go off too fast.
that's true john hot weather do make it harder, but that's not the case in this scenario, tjds walls was plastered by absolute numpteys who haven't a clue how to render or float and set, this is without doubt just about the worst job an op has posted or I have seen on here im just wondering what kind of damproof treatment they have done

that's true john hot weather do make it harder, but that's not the case in this scenario, tjds walls was plastered by absolute numpteys who haven't a clue how to render or float and set, this is without doubt just about the worst job an op has posted or I have seen on here im just wondering what kind of damproof treatment they have done
I agree with the lads, whoever done this hasn't got a clue. I hope you haven't parted with any money as they ought to pay you for trying to practice plastering on your wall !!!!!!!! :confused: Just noticed you "paid for this", so I don't think you have much chance of getting these "chancers" back. Try your local trading standards office and see what they say....

Thanks for all the feedback guys, appreciate it.

roughcaster, thanks for the feedback – good to know why the ripple effect is apparent. Stupid question, but should the render have gone on flat (e.g. without the scratches?) Getting a recommended person to come and have a look at it.

Skimmers so presume they didn’t bother with the second coat and just went straight for the finishing plaster? Happy enough with the damp part and comes with reputable guarantee (first bit was done by separate people). They Hacked-off and removed existing plaster, drilled in DPC at a level up to 75mm above the floor or 150mm above ground level and prepared exposed masonry and apply 2 coats of Porestop Waterproof Slurry.
The ‘plasterers’ had a bit of difficulty getting the render on the wall (the guy the next day was pleased the 2 coats done in one day had stuck)

roy c In talks with the guy who set it up so optimistic of something happening.

Question for you all is what to do next? How is best to get the job touched up / finished properly? Don’t want to have to hack all the plaster off to start again…

with out beeing there in person its hard to say..

if there running true flatish you mite get away with two thick coats of muilti over the top pva ed first lol

mite need a tight coat of bonding to straighten it all out.

if there gap back too the brick work at the bottom then use drycoat to patch it.

looks likt then corners will need beading up and the wall reskimming easy job for a real spread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back