Rising damp fun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've got a 20 year old garage with a concrete base that can't have a Dpm as the floor inside is damp.

It's not flooded or running with water but the concrete has slightly damp areas that look darker and feel damp.

I want to make it a usable garage to fix my car in over the wet months rather than in the street in howling wind and so would like to make the floor a bit more hospitable to spend hours on my back on.

My initial thought was 4 sheets of 9mm osb3 on top of a 1000ga sheet this would fit nicely and although I'm not looking for it to last forever I'm not sure how it would stand up to jacks and axle stands.

My second thought was an epoxy 2 part garage floor paint. I've found one called floorsaver that should give 2 coats for about 40 quid but not sure how well it will do on my damp floor.

I've got very little to spend on this hence me having to fix the car myself rather than the pros so anyone with experience or advice on the floor issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're getting the OSB for free then fine, you may find the garage starts smelling a bit damp (with all the water trapped beneath the DPM).
For comfort you might to better with those interlocking soft tiles that appear occasionally in Halfords etc at £10 for 6- they'll just compress under axle stands but give you a nice warm soft surface to wriggle around on (I use them on my gravel drive and in the garage all the time, makes a massive difference to how long you can work before getting tired and fed up)
If the concrete is damp I wouldn't shell out on expensive floor paint, good odds it'll fail quite quickly

Don't just stick OSB down it'll end up trapping bacteria and moisture under there and it'll stink.

Sponsored Links
As soon as you cover it the for will stop evaporating naturally and it will get wetter and wetter. The dpm must be continuous to keep it all out.aa sensible way
aywould be and blinding dpm and then something like screed on top. You have to protect the dmp from damage or movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back