rising mains pipe in Edinburgh - is it lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a flat in Edinburgh's New Town area and I'm wondering whether the tenement's rising water mains has been replaced or if it's still the old lead one. I've called Scottish Water and they said the street level mains have all been replaced, but they have no idea whether individual tenements' have or not.
I've taken some photographs of what I could without ripping up the whole boxing around the pipes within the stair. Maybe someone with experience could help out with advice?
I'm not sure if the picture is of the rising mains or of the waste drain pipe and whether it's lead or not...
Many thanks!
Michael

Sponsored Links
That looks like cast drain pipe to me. Scratch the surface and if its lead it will score easily.

Thanks for the reply!
I did scratch the surface with my keys - you might be able to make out some scratches in the pictures. I wasn't sure how to read the result - it definitely didn't score easily and wasn't as shiny as I would've expected lead to be.

Sponsored Links
If this is indeed the cast iron drain pipe, then I guess my question is - does this mean that the tenement's plumbing had been upgraded at some point and the other pipes are also not lead or is it still possible that if I open up the boxing I'll find lead piping?
I realize this is a guessing game question, but in your opinion what's the likelihood?
Thanks!

What size is the pipe you're refering to? It looks like it's about 3" in diameter. I take it the small pipe to the left of it is the gas riser? The water supply will be about the same size as that one.

When you called Scottish water, did you call the 0845 601 8855 number? that puts you through to the call centre which, was in Balmore Rd, Glasgow. They won't have any local information.
You need to ask a "water officer" based in Fairmilehead. Off the top of my head, I think the number is 445 4141.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back