Risk for a water pipe to collapse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have attached 2 photos with this message (please ignore the red circle on the second photo, it's not relevant for this issue).

The first photo is the bottom of the pipe. The second photo is the top of the pipe.

I have this main water pipe inside my flat. It goes from the roof and down inside my apartment.
After a small leak, the water damaged the wall as you can see on the first photo and so now the hole where the clip holding the pipe is seems bigger as the wall broke a little. It's still holding fine but I'm worried that it gets worse.

An engineer from the water company told me that he thinks the pipe is fine and shouldn't have any serious issue.

However I'd like the worst case scenario: what would happen if the clips in the first photo totally destroy the wall to the point they're no longer holding inside the wall. Would that put too much pressure on the pipe and make it somehow collapse or something? Basically the pipe would be held only from the top clip (second photo, above the water meter), would that be enough?

I tried to put filler inside the hole but the wall is so thin that it doesn't even hold, it would fall behind the wall.

Thanks.

Attachments

• waterpipe1.jpeg
    waterpipe1.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 147
  • waterpipe2.jpeg
    waterpipe2.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fit a little shelf bracket under the "U" to give real support (if that's what you want). The clips do not support the pipe, they are merely holding it close to the wall

Sponsored Links
Clips "are" meant to support pipe.
Gas runs have specific clipping distances for exactly this purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back