Water supply above ground level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, please can I ask for some advice on replacing my incoming domestic water pipe.

It's a private supply with low pressure, about 1 bar. The wall is 600mm thick, undressed stone with rubble infill, probably no mortar, cement render outside.

To avoid removing the sink, breaking the kitchen floor, and removing the drain outside, I'd prefer to bring the new pipe in above ground level. Insulation around the pipe on the outside. To avoid the incoming pipe and stop cock obstructing a kitchen drawer, it would need an elbow on the incoming pipe, before the stop cock.

We've had no frozen pipes in 30+ years, so I think it's a small but not zero risk. What happens when MDPE pipe freezes - does the pipe split, or push the fittings off, and is there a way I can prevent this happening inside (don't mind too much if it happens outside)?

Any view on fitting a stop cock on the outside within the insulation, instead or as well as the one inside?

Also, in general is fitting an elbow to the incoming pipe before the stop cock ok?

The existing iron pipe goes in below the solid kitchen floor and comes up next to the wall, with a set of drawers in front (photo on link below). On the exterior photo, the existing iron water pipe is to the left of the photo, 400mm below ground level. There's a drain outside running parallel with the wall (photo also) which would need to be removed to make a hole low down in the wall. The red cross on the wall outside marks the level of the stop tap inside.

I understand that normal installation is 750mm deep, and away from the wall inside - but this would be very disruptive so I'm trying to avoid it.

Any other comments on this please? Thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Eddie

link to photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89810542@N02/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back