RJ45 CAT open circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. I have installed a cable between my upstairs Panasonic tv and router.

I have crimped the ends myself.
It doesn’t work!!!

Neither light is on, on the router.

When I plug my downstairs tv I’m using purchased cable it works and the 2 router connector lights come on.

Apart from buzzing out every wire are there any voltage measurements I can make to see which wire is open. ?

I have wired it straight through.

Are all 8 wires required or can I focus on less?

It’s proper Cat 5 cable

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I measured the voltages coming out of the working TV.
Couldn't see anything interesting or useful.

I disconnected both ends of the faulty cable, and used the crimp tool to short all the pins together.

I continuity checked the other end, to ensure all wires were connected. They were. :(

I then moved the short to the other end of the cable and tested at the other end. (incase the crimp tool was helping keep the pins pressed in)

I noticed pins 3&4 I think had a poor connection or open circuit. (TV end)
When I had a closer inspection, I noticed these pins were raised when compared to the others.
Some of the pins weren't pressed fully home. I pressed them in with a screwdriver.
I then got the crimps and re crimped it. I noticed you have to be careful to watch the crimp to ensure it lined up with the pins correctly.

Tested it and it now works.

That's what you get for using a £3 crimp tool. But at least I know to watch them IF I used them in future.

Last edited:
You can get test kits on eBay for about £3. Its worth it, if you are doing a few.

Don't intend doing any more so not worth having test kit.

I did put a 2nd cable in to another bedroom as the floor boards were up anyway.
I don't intend using it and will watch carefully when I apply the crimps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back