Which router or extender?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure exactly what I need to buy so though it best to ask first.

I have a 300n router which I plan to move inside a cupboard. I have wired an rj45 cable inside the cupboard to my living room. When the router is inside the block work cupboard the wifi in my living room isn't great.

I would like to buy a router/extender that takes an rj45 (with extra ports for tv, sky box and blu ray) and pumps out wifi. Which one do I get?

Current devices are at best 300mbs, maybe future proof it?

Thanks

Graeme

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are looking for a wireless access point. I have used Netgear (WN604 150Mbps) in the past without problem but as I now have an "apple airport time capsule" I tend to use that which does the same thing with a NAS built in and is faster.

Hi,

Had seen the TP-Link TL-WR843ND. It runs in extender mode and has ports. Do you think this would work ok?

A though I had was to buy a top end router and use the current one I have in extender mode as iirc it has this. The one I have just now is tp-w8970 although mine has 3 Ariel's not 2 as shown.

Not sure if I'm on the right track though, it's been many years since I was into PC tech. We're not wired for fibre yet, hope exchange will do soon then we can upgrade if that makes a difference.

Budget of under 100 isn't an issue as it's a long term thing

Thanks

Graeme

Last edited:
+1 for the WN604. Use in access point mode, configure the WiFi security the same as your existing and devices will switch without issue. This will give you WiFi and 3 additional wired ports (the 4th being used to connect to the existing router) Much better than an extender, especially as you have the cable installed.

Sponsored Links
Will have a look at the net gear range tonight and see if they do a 300mb version.

Thanks for your input I didn't think of net gear as both my previous routers ar tp link

Graeme

I don't know about that particular model of TP-Link but another one I setup as an access point keeps locking up.
If you really want 300Mbps wireless then maybe look for a netgear or Linksys one?

A lot of the access points only seem to have a single ethernet port. If the access point doesn't have enough ethernet ports then you can get a separate gigabit switch.

Sponsored Links
Back