RJ45 splitter problem.

Before being so arrogant and rude perhaps you should check your facts.

$22.58 Vs £5.92 for an edimax BR-6214K

So which is cheaper?

Now show me proof that using the the 4 cables reserved for eliminating cross talk wont impact performance.

It will impact performance.

Sponsored Links

So which is cheaper?

Random american price vs actually hunting one down at a reasonable price for two bits of plastic vs a switch so cheap it'll break in six weeks. Sorry, not convinced.

Now show me proof that using the the 4 cables reserved for eliminating cross talk wont impact performance.

They're not cables, and they're simply not used. At 100Mbit it won't be an issue for normal (<50m) runs, and quite a few industrial setups do things like this.

Please note I am not saying it's a good idea, I'm strongly opposed to it, but it does work, and FUD doesn't help.

So which is cheaper?

Random american price vs actually hunting one down at a reasonable price for two bits of plastic vs a switch so cheap it'll break in six weeks. Sorry, not convinced.

They're not cables, and they're simply not used. At 100Mbit it won't be an issue for normal (<50m) runs, and quite a few industrial setups do things like this.

Please note I am not saying it's a good idea, I'm strongly opposed to it, but it does work, and FUD doesn't help.

A reasonable quality splitter sells for about £4 each. You need to buy a pair. You can easily purchase a switch or router for less than £8.

eg

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...d=15038166444774078937&os=sellers#scoring=tps

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/32723...lters=s{router}+&cpage=2&ob=4&urlrefer=search

Any router/switch will have a one year waranty. Your suggestion that anything in this price range will fail after 6 weeks is indeed FUD.

I can't follow the latter part of your post. One minute you tell the OP they don't work then you accuse me of FUD when I suggest that a switch would give better performance.

So which is cheaper?

A reasonable quality splitter sells for about £4 each. You need to buy a pair. You can easily purchase a switch or router for less than £8.

There's no such thing as reasonable quality when it comes to these items, and an £8 switch is a waste of money.

Any router/switch will have a one year waranty. Your suggestion that anything in this price range will fail after 6 weeks is indeed FUD.

Alright, I was exaggerating. They're still shocking piles of crap.

I can't follow the latter part of your post. One minute you tell the OP they don't work then you accuse me of FUD when I suggest that a switch would give better performance.

I never said they don't work in pairs. I said you can't just split ethernet.

A switch will not give better performance. In some cases one would be slower.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3272300/D-Link-DIR100-Ethernet-Broadband-Cable-Router/Product.html?searchstring=router&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchfilters=s%7brouter%7d%2b&cpage=2&ob=4&urlrefer=search

And the fact that you can't tell that isn't a switch says everything!

Sponsored Links
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3272300/D-Link-DIR100-Ethernet-Broadband-Cable-Router/Product.html?searchstring=router&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchfilters=s%7brouter%7d%2b&cpage=2&ob=4&urlrefer=search

I am more than able to tell the difference between a router and a switch. But as we both know you are able to turn off features in most routers to allow them to function as a switch.

I am more than able to tell the difference between a router and a switch. But as we both know you are able to turn off features in most routers to allow them to function as a switch.

In most. Not all.

Looking at the link the OP gave, it looks like these are cable economisers which are used in pairs. On the two-port side, the A port pins 1,2,3 & 6 are connected to the same pins on the single side. The B-port is connected to pins 4,5,7 & 8 on the single port side. 10/100 Ethernet only uses pins 1 2 3 &6, so this allows two connections to share a length of CAT5/5e Thus, from your switch you connect 2 short cables to the sharer, and at the other end of the CAT5 cable you connect another sharer and then a cable from each sharer port to each computer (or other device). However, if your machines are fitted with gigabit ports, these *require* all four pairs, and performance will hit the floor using cable sharers, if they work at all. Far better to pay out a few quid for a 5 or 8 port Ethernet SWITCH. This will allow 4 or 7 devices to share the RJ45 cable from the manin switch or router to where the PCs are located.

Back