RJ45 splitter problem.

Sponsored Links
how does that work then?

i didnt think you could split a signal without a hub....!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Funny thing is with rj45, is you can run as many ports you like off one cable with a hub.

For example one cable run off a router in another room to a 24 port hub, then run 23 pcs off that.

Not ideal, but possible.

Sponsored Links
Funny thing is with rj45, is you can run as many ports you like off one cable with a hub.

For example one cable run off a router in another room to a 24 port hub, then run 23 pcs off that.

Not ideal, but possible.

Not particularly funny, simply logical.

And please, we haven't used hubs for a very long time. We use switches. There's quite a significant difference.

As the item referred to will never work and is totally useless, why would it even exist?

These devices are designed to be used in pairs (one at each end of a cable). Two pairs in the cable are presented to each socket. This means that any devices you plug in will be limited to a 100Mbit connection. A 1Gbit connection requires all four pairs.

These devices do work if used as described.

These devices are designed to be used in pairs (one at each end of a cable). Two pairs in the cable are presented to each socket. This means that any devices you plug in will be limited to a 100Mbit connection. A 1Gbit connection requires all four pairs.

These devices do work if used as described.

Not all of them are wired that way. I've got a few which present all four pairs to both sockets.

Neither are compliant with ethernet requirements, to my knowledge.

Why would it not work if one manually sets the ip address on each of the pcs?

Why would it not work if one manually sets the ip address on each of the pcs?

.. because it's electrically not compatible, perhaps?

Good point.

I hadn't followed the link and assumed it was one of these

http://cableorganizer.com/rj45-splitter/

The above will work but performance will be pants and a switch would probably be cheaper.

... it wouldn't affect performance in 99% of cases, and a switch would not be cheaper.

It's still a bad idea, but at least get your facts straight.

Before being so arrogant and rude perhaps you should check your facts.

$22.58 Vs £7.10 for an edimax BR-6214K

So which is cheaper?

Now show me proof that using the the 4 cables reserved for eliminating cross talk wont impact performance.

Sponsored Links
Back