Extra network points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

First of all, I'm not especially clued up on computers but I'll try my best to explain what I mean.

I have a 'doofer' in our hallway. It connects to the phoneline via an ADSL splitter. It then outputs a wireless signal for the computer broadband. It also has four RJ45 sockets on the back for wired network connections.

I presume this is either a router / hub?

Right now we've got that out of the way, here is what I'm wanting to do.

Currently we have issues with the wireless signal in an extention of the house, presumably due to double skinned walls, and some RSJs and stuff. It's just one of those things, and not of too much concern.

I am wanting to take a wired network into this part of the house, just for reliability of signal more than anything.

I need at least three network points, possibly even four or five in this end of the house.

Now my question. Do I need to run each cat 5 line right back to our existing 'doofer' in the hall, or can I install just the one cable from there, and take it into some sort of splitter in the extention part of the house?

If so, what would one of these splitters be called, and where might I look to purchase one?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to come up with :D :D

Sponsored Links
The doofer sounds like an ADSL wireless modem router with switch.
What is the main purpose for the network - is it for internet access? Are you going to be using it for transfer of large files between PCs over wireless? You could probably get away with running one cat5 cable from the modem to a "network switch" and run the other points from there.
This is the network switch I have as I ran out of ports on the back of my adsl modem router switch :oops:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/8894

RF Lighting, I'm presuming the "doofer" is a wireless router (the spell check on here baulks at that word!!). Right, yes you can put a hub or switch in the extension, and then run just one cat5 ethernet cable back to the router. you can get small hubs or switches from maplin and cpc and places like that.

The difference between a hub and a switch is that a hub rebroadcasts everything it gets on 1 port to all other ports, a switch(in full switching hub) sends the data to only the port it's addressed to. Hope this helps.

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

It's like one of these (but has different stuff on the front):

l_12020009.jpg

The network in the extention is for one PC with normal t'internet useage, an xbox with xbox live connection and a DVR. Possibly another PC occasionally, and an unknown future addition.

I take it from the replies I'd be better off with a small hub?

Or, you could use a wireless repeater. Failing that, as said, single Cat 5e, into a switch (better / more expensive) or a Hub (cheaper but slower).

one of these perhaps? or these

In other words, yes you can run 1 cable from the router to the rest of the house and use a simple "switch" which should cost less than £15 (at a local PC shop) which will give you 4 or more ports to then use for the other network points.

However, all traffic will then be going down the single cable.
WHat do you intend to use the other ports for?
If they are all to be for PC's that are playing network games then you would be better with individual cables, if they are just for internet access then it won't make that much difference. (IMO)

Nah, not if you're running the single at 100 Mbps duplex then each switch port at 10 Mbps, coupled with a broadband connection @ around 2 - 8 Mpbs all should be ok. ;)

But if his broadband connection is at 25mps then its going to bottleneck :)

mps ? (miles per second??) mind you I've quoted a mpbs which doesn't make any sense :LOL:

None of that makes sense to me :LOL:

Anyway I've ordered the little blue box which should arrive tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I get on. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back