Wireless jobbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Just so you are not under any illusion, I'm rubbish with computers, especially when it comes to buying the right bits, and making them all work together.

Here's the problem.

I currently have a wireless broadband modem downstairs in my hallway plugged straight into the NTE5 socket. This works fine for downstairs, but unfortunatly the signal really struggles to get upstairs. I think this is due to a big RSJ between the floors.

Anyway, I have run in a cat5 to upstairs for my computer, and this works fine, but I would ideally like a proper wireless signal upstairs for my iPhone to connect to and maybe to do away with the cable to my laptop.

Is there such a think as a wireless doofer that presumably is not a modem that will connect to my existing wired network?

I would most likely plug it into my network switch / hub thingie if you think thats the best way to do it?

Thanks for reading, and feel free to ask anything that I didn't know I needed to know.

Sponsored Links
Hello, How bad is the wireless signal upstairs?

A Wireless range extender might not work or you get a nice fast speed between the extender and the client but the extender to the router connection is poor.

The wireless extender might work upstairs but be prepared to move it about until you get a good enough connection between the extender, router and wireless clients upstairs.

Or you could go for a wireless access point for up stairs, this connects to your wired network. The only downside is if you go downstairs you will most likely need to get you wireless client (e.g laptop) to connect to you wireless router downstairs.

At the moment the signal is terrible.

If I do a search for wireless networks on my phone, it can't find anything at all, and my laptop occasionally gets one bar with a connection speed of 1mbps.

A wireless access point might be better. My laptop doesn't tend to get moved about too much, and my phone automatically switches between networks as you wander about, so it should be ok.

I'll have a look about and see what there is available.

Sponsored Links
Before you buy anything experiment with different channel numbers on your wireless router.....interference could be why your signal is not good upstairs.

Well I got a netgear wireless access point, plugged it into my hub and it works a treat.

Thanks for the ideas chaps :D

ditto, I have my sky router with my PC in the office, Cat 5 to the lounge, and a netgear AP plugged in for the wifes lappy

Sponsored Links
Back