Rmoving Basic Light Pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Slightly embarrassing this one, I'm doing some ceiling re-decoration and I've tried to unscrew/detatch the basic light pendant from the main fitting, so as to get a good finish and I will probably get a new light fitting anyway.

Inspite of good efforts, it's not budging and most likely due to the build up of paint around the edges.

At the moment my Plan B involves a jr hacksaw and anything else. But the sensible approach would be to know if anyone has some useful tips to try out first? This does seem to fall into the category of paint around the window openers....

Many Thanks
Regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
The first thing is to be careful. There is mains voltage under that cover, even when the light is off. Isolate the circuit at the consumer unit, and give the cover a tap. It'll either loosen or break. If it breaks then take care when sorting the wires as there are loop in loop out wires in there, Take pictures and draw diagrams, and mark the cable cores.

Hi Joe,

Once isolated from Consumer Unit, a few firm taps, and some gunk /sealant stuck between the pendant and ceiling worked loose. Pried a bit with a small screwdriver and the unit could then be unscrewed...

Many Thanks for your help... :eek:)

Cheers
Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back