Rewire of old pendant light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help?

I need to replace a ceiling light with a pendant light. It's a hall light with one switch.

The old rose was old and disintergrated when I tried to unscrew it, leaving the light as per the attached picture.

Now I'm not sure what wires on this I should connect to the live, the neutral and earth on the pendant?

Please can anyone help? I've tried to look through the exisiting posts and can't find anything that fits.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
All your green conductors go together in the earth terminal
Both your blacks are neutral and go together in the neutral terminal
The red thats on its own is switched live and goes in the live terminal
The three reds together are permant live and go in the loop terminal

Have you got the screws that held the old batten holder to the besa box (the metal box in the ceiling), its quite likely that they are old imperial 2BA screws which you may struggle with obtaining these days

Its a conduit system wired in a conventional loop in fashion*, the only real difference to the pictures in the wiki is that the two cores to your switch are both red, whereas its normally (but not always, red and black in pvc/pvc cable)

*Which is a tad unusual... perhaps the layout of the house made it more conveient to do it that way... but thats somewhat un-important

Three blacks are you neutral.
Single red is your live,
Green/yellow is your earth.

Three Reds join together in a connector block.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much - will try that tomorrow. There are two black wires but assume that doesn't matter!?

I think I'm OK for screws thanks - they are the one thing that didn't disintergrate! cheers

Make sure you remove the fuse for the circuit, or better still turn off your main switch before you start work as the fitting will be live even when the light switch is turned off.

All finished and working perfectly already!

Thanks very much everyone!

Hi Londonboy. Actually, just realized the old 2BA screws are a bit too long for the new ceiling rose, if the offer is still there??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back