Roller cam catching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am a self builder who has purchased self assemble uPVC windows, frames made from Advance 70 profiles.

After fitting the glazed units the roller cams are catching on the outside of the profile, stopping us closing the window, they open and close and lock fine prior to fitting.
It seems once the beading is in - the problem occurs.

We have shimmed correctly and made sure the frame is not distorted.

We have tried not packing so tight after heal and toeing, but that makes no difference, cams still catch.

It appears the window stays allow some adjustment, but the fabricators seem to have screwed them so that no adjustment can be made.

Images below should help explain.

Any help would be appreciated.

View media item 69285 View media item 69286View media item 69287

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the sash needs removing and the hinges adjusted by a few mm's

Yes thats what I thought, but when the screws are loosened to make the adjustment, there is no movement, it appears the screws are in a such a position that no movement can be made - or am I missing something? see below.

Dunster House, great prices - forget any customer service, they will not accept any phone calls - only emails to Customer Service - when emailed they suggested:
'Please be advised that the issue can be overcome through adjustment. It could be that the windows need to be set back further on the hinges.'
I have emailed back but not had a reply.

View media item 69300 View media item 69301View media item 69302

They have been fitted wrong in the factory.
You will need to take the sash's out and adjust the screws fixing the hinges to the sash.
Pencil mark where they are before you adjust. Then move them about 4mm in and refit the sash to try it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I agree, but screwing back in just 4mm along from the original hole is a bit dodgy surely, would the screw holes not become one and the hold of the screw be a bit rubbish ? I'm sceptical, but maybe I'm wrong and it would be OK.

Dunster House - I would never ignore a customer, very rude, a neighbour wants windows, but how can you recommend a company like this >?

They have been fitted wrong in the factory.
You will need to take the sash's out and adjust the screws fixing the hinges to the sash.
Pencil mark where they are before you adjust. Then move them about 4mm in and refit the sash to try it

Not if they worked before fitting!

Sometimes these cams can be very tight to turn, I sometimes used a ratchet handle (1/2" head) fitted with a hex bit, you could of course use a set of self locking grips on an allen key to achieve the same results, but go very slowly at first, most of these cam threads have Threadlock on them that's what makes them so tight...pinenot :)

Yes, its the frame its catching on.

Can someone advise - does it matter if you foam around the frame - before or after you fit the glazed units ?

The (NICO) Friction Stays (I assume that is what they are called) need to be removed with the sash, now that the Cill is on and the frame in place. Is there any chance of the screws stripping out its fixing in the uPVC frame when they are put back.

The hinge adjustment needs to be done where the hinge is screwed to the sash not where the hinge sits in the frame. Take the sash out release the screws and move the hinge along, if you haven't got much to play with then take the screws out move the hinge along and make new holes with the screws!
Is it my eyes or has the transom been made too long, looks a little bowed to me which could be your problem!!

It might be as simple as when you have banged the bead on the handle side it has bowed the sash, get the back end of the hammer between frame and sash and force back a bit

DHFrames, your right the transom is bowed (ie part of the frame running up by the handle side) - when measuring the frame by the cross section and at the bottom its out by 3/4mm,

God suggests my problem could be due to the bead forcing the profile out on the sash, so its bowed, I have given both the sash and frame where it is bowed a clout - but it still fouls. Is there a trick to fitting the glass so the bead goes in easier, ie lubricating the rubber seal with something like fairy liquid ?

I also took the sash out, made a slight adjustment, which meant the window closed OK, but then the cams wouldn't lock when you turned the door handle.

The cams only clear the frame by 1-2mm at the top and bottom, is that the correct sort of clearance ?

We'll take all the glass out, shut and lock the windows and try again.

Dunster House have now ignored my two emails to customer service, nice way to treat a customer ! I want to buy another 11 windows. I'll suggest that too them and see if they reply.

Happy for you to quote, PM me your details, in the meantime I want to close the windows, its letting all the cold in, any further pointers ?

Thanks for the details, did that - could then pull window shut, but couldn't pull the handle down to engage the cams, something stopping them moving up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back