Roller cam catching

3-4mm clearance is what you usually need, Its a fiddly job getting everything to line up right and a case of elimination to work out what is the problem. You could try taking out all the keeps and refitting them 1 at a time untill you know whats catching.

Maybe its worth finding a firm that supply's and fit?
I personally always do a good rate to builders as new build with no making good is a lovely easy job.

Sponsored Links
If you move the hinge to much the cams will catch on the keep, you sure you put the windows in level, if slightly ****ed it could cause them to catch

Yes I think thats what was happening, ie too much adjustment, but it was needed as the cam overlapped the frame by 2mm.

I'll take all the glass out and see if the bowing goes away, they were delivered without glass, locked and shut, so its something to do with the way the glass is fitted.

Dunster House should really be providing support of the product they sell, but they seem to have dropped and run.

Yes it sounds like you've gone too far with the adjustment so now the mushroom (not cam) isn't sliding down into the keep on the frame, as has been suggested remove each keep one by one till you find the culprit. Then the quick fix is to pack it off the frame with a thin glazing packer, other than that its sash out again and fix the hinges in the middle of where they are now and where they started off

Sponsored Links
Ahh yes, I misread it, didn't think you could pack out the keep, will give that a try also, but my (inexperienced) intuition tells me the bead is pushing the frame out.

Just taking out the 1 bead on that side would tell you that, No need to fully deglaze.
Just because they came shut and locked from the factory means nothing, As the frame wasn't fixed to anything it was flexible and the sash's could easily have been banged shut.

Looking at all the cams on one opener, the middle one is catching and the two outer ones are clear by about 2mm. And looking at all the keeps, again the centre one is proud (from the bowed frame).

Should you expect bowing once the glass is in, in my mind the cams and keeps should all be in line.

If its catching in the centre and not top and bottom then the transom is too wide thus bowing the frame towards the sashes, very poor show from the fabricators IMO, if you can't fix it with a bit of fiddling then it'll need a new frame

There are several things that can cause bows and mis shaped frames:
Not fitted square, level and plum.
Some manufacturers have a 3-6mm tolerance in each weld that can make the whole frame and every sash out of square.
The center transom could be a bit long (or both welds 6mm big) bowing the frame out and not the sash s.
The beads can be knocked in a bit too hard bowing the center of the sash out.

These are just a few culprits off the top of my head. Try a straight edge or string line to work out which it is

Thanks for those suggestions.
I'll take all the glass out and start again, see if its bowed then.

Maybe I knocked the beads in too hard, I'll lubricate the rubbers to see if that helps.

With a 3-6mm tolerance, I've measured the transom to be 3-4mm wider, so its within whats acceptable ?

Fairy liquid or even better silicone spray on the gasket will make beading a lot better.

Solved, bought a Draper Soft Grip 32mm Chisel Knife to pop open the bead opposite the bow, closed and locked the windows, then lubricating the bead with Fairy liquid did the trick (as I previously suspected), taping as lightly as possible to get the bead to click home, also hammering with a rubber hammer and a block of wood next to the frame or sash - opposite the bow - helped knock the frame/sash back in-line once the bead was back in.

Thanks for all your help, Dunster House should really add that simple advice to their 'instructions', make every ones life a bit easier, they did finally reply after I said I was interested in a further 11 windows !, they suggested 'I consult the fitter of the windows' ... they know I would be fitting them myself, they are sold as 'DIY Windows'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back