Rolling correctly and stains

It's best not to do the mist coat with a vinyl paint.
A mist coat is supposed to be thin. The plaster will show through.

Sponsored Links
It's best not to do the mist coat with a vinyl paint.
A mist coat is supposed to be thin. The plaster will show through.
This is what I was worried about and I got a bloke at the Dulux Centre say it must be contract then vinyl over the top. I then called technical at dulux and Johnstone's and they all said it's fine to water down vinyl and use as a mist coat! Bit confusing but I'll go with technical. I guess dont go for complete coverage on first coat though I sort of have then touched up which is wrong and lazy on bare plaster. Always add water though

the non-vinyl paint is used on new plaster, because it is porous and allows slight damp to escape.

on old dry plaster it doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links
the non-vinyl paint is used on new plaster, because it is porous and allows slight damp to escape.

on old dry plaster it doesn't matter.
2 or 3 week old skim and all same colour.

This is what my mist coat looks like in other picture a bit holey. I guess that'sright. I've watered it down
20210325_191746.jpg
20210325_191734.jpg

Last edited:
20210325_195540.jpg
Mist it again.
Two mist coats. Ok.

This is the watered down mist coat 20% water in vinyl. It's watery but covering almost completely. Is this ok? Shouldnt a mist coat be patchier?
20210325_195141.jpg

have you misted the orange part? or just the top bit?

that's mostly OK, but there's a thin patch you can see. Redo that and brush it out well at the edges so there is no step.

misting is really quick and easy, isn't it?

I'd just use up whatever I've mixed up with water.

Some people would just do one skimpy coat, but two are better.

Basically, start of job, go in and mist coat all new plaster in one go. Not with vinyl either. Not one wall at a time, do it all! Every new plastered wall. Then two coats of main colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back