ronseal wood varnish is white??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
maybe im getting old, but when i use to open a tin of wood varnish, it resembled a tin of syrup,this stuff is like thick milk, its going on ok, but much much harder to brush out,takes 3 times longer to do anything,brush can be cleaned with soapy water??? no doubt its in the name of progress but im not in love with it, thank you

Sponsored Links
in fact, its not going on well at all, its leaving the wood a pasty white in places, 17 quid for that sh8te

I expect your varnish is water-based. It goes on milky but dries clear.

Did you stir it well?

The first coat can probably be thinned a bit, in a jar.

cheers, yes well stirred, its going on previously "varnished" skirting, lightly sanded and wiped clean, first coat seems to have sucked right into the wood, not shiny at all, i shall persist, was hoping two coats would do it but not overly hopeful!!

Sponsored Links
It's water based and it's total rubbish as is all water based paint. I only use Ronseal outdoor varnish these days for indoor and out door work. It is marked as clear on the tin but it isn't, it does have a slight tinge. If I want really clear clear varnish that is also oil based I use Wilkonson's outdoor varnish or Wilko's yacht varnish both of which are clear.

cheers Pete50, have to agree, it did dry out ok, but 3 coats later and im still contemplating another, maybe the skirting timber is too grainy, allowing this stuff to suck in in places, itll have to do!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back