Roof Bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
My car, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso has roof bars and i was going to purchase some ratchet tie down straps so I can get 2 sheets of plasterboard from a local supplier, they wanted £25 delivery which i don't want to pay because i am often buying large sheets of things on and off and it will be a good investment.

Anyway, whats the best way to secure 2 sheets of plasterboard to roof bars? My brain says buy 2 straps long enough to attach across the bars and do up tight enough to keep them there, is there something that i am missing. Also, how can i do these up so that i don't damage the board? Is there a method? not sure if i would need more than 2 straps? Plasterboard is only 1200mm wide and these straps would be in the region of 4m long so they would be long enough. the only issue i can see is if i need to secure on the long side where i would need longer ones.

Anybody already done this? and what method did you use?

L

Sponsored Links
Platerboard sheets will bend/sag so it's a good idea to put some lengths of wood under them to help hold them flat. Also your sheets might be wider than your bars, so your straps might need to go over the edge, and back under the sheet and be secured underneath the roof rack. To protect the edge use an old cloth or something scrunched up at the edge where the strap passes. Also bear in mind there will be quite a long section in front of your bars where the sheets aren't secured so they will almost definitely lift in the wind when you drive. I've tried another strap going from the middle somewhere, going over the front, and back to the middle somewhere, which seemed to help a bit, but you still need to drive pretty slow.

Edit... You might be better off using a washing line style rope, they're more versatile (and cheaper).

I did it with rope once before and to be honest i am REALLY bad with knots, i just want something easy i can do again and again. I drive quite slowly anyway so i am not likely to lift off. I was thinking of the wood bit, so these lengths (lets say 3, end, middle and end) would need to be the width (in this case) of the plasterboard (ish). Would 2 straps suffice (one at each end or should i get 3). the only reason i ask is i can get a pack of 4 straps

When I used to get sheets of timber, plasterboard etc I knocked up a simple timber frame which was easy to strap down to my roofbars and just as easy to remove. The front edge of it prevented board lift and a couple of bits of timber were used crossways help in place with quick release clamps.

Sponsored Links
Even a sheet of ply on the roof will want to 'take off' so I agree with the suggestions of making some sort of frame.

Btw, the most unusual thing I ever had on top of my car was a complete corner bath. :D

Back