motorways and roof bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a 2 seater settee from Oxford to Nottingham along the M1. Do I have to hire a van? Or can I use my estate and sit it on the roof bars. It has those rails so I can lash it down solid.

I won't speed, I'll sit in the middle lane on 70.

Anyone know the laws on such things? Would rather hire a van than get booked. But much easier if I can just load it up.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
As long as it's safe and secure, doesn't oversail any sides or ends of the car (think 2' is the max any thing can hang over the back, without a warning of some description), doesn't move about on the rails, it's fine and dandy. If you cover it with a tilt or plastic and that starts flapping everywhere, start looking for those blue lights.

Oh and don't speed, that would be inappropriate :LOL:

Leave him be, he feels safe there: there's a lane either side to wander into :)

Sponsored Links
Check your car's handbook for a roof rack load limit. If you exceed it, the traffic cops could use that to meet their government targets! :mad: :mad: :mad:

PS: This says more about target-driven policing than it does about the Police. :evil: :evil: :evil:

It would be better in a van - all you may need is a bit of wind to get up under it and it may cause an accident.

:rolleyes:

it's for driving in except when you are overtaking someone.

my comments would be that a sofa on the roofrack will physicaly restrict you to nearer 50 with the wind resistance and buffeting unless your on a conveyor belt :eek: :eek:

even if you wrap it up well it will still get wet as the water is driven up from underneath by the arodinamics of the car ;)

I don't understand the fuss about motorway lanes. The inside lane is 60mph for trucks and caravans. The other two lanes (on M1) are for cars travelling at the speed limit (70mph). If we all travel at the same speed and all keep our distances we will get where we are going safely and quickly. What's the problem with that?

The rules change a bit on steep inclines. I'm not sure what the Highway Code has to say about this (OK, I should try reading it :oops: :oops: :oops: ) but I do know how it works in practice.

The inside lane is for the good lorry drivers (most of them actually) to crawl up in a low gear at 20 mph. The middle lane is for the lorry driver who thinks that this is a really good opportunity to overtake - at 21 mph! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The outside lane is for the rest of us to funnel into and thus attempt to relieve the huge tailback that the moron has caused! :evil: :evil: :evil:

There are those Black Rats out there that will pull you Joe, for either carrying an insecure load or the load changing the condition of the vehicle in such a way as to make it dangerous, for example the centre of gravity will change.

The insecure load issue also has to be bourne in mind should you have to avoid an accident or under severe braking. You and the load should not be parted.

If you are determined to carry it on your car then lash it well, don't hog any lanes and make damn sure you have a good answer for the traffic boys who I reckon are evens to give you a pull!

Sponsored Links
Back