Express lane for car sharers on M3

OK, so express lanes may be a good idea to lower pollution levels, but if enough people car share, then surely the express lane will no longer be an express lane as it will become congested. Then the single occupancy cars will be moving much quicker. What then? rumble strips in the single occupancy lane to slow the traffic down so that those who share still move quicker.

Sponsored Links
I did a big drive last week and noticed that in Scotland and the North the HGV drivers mainly come out in the middle of the night. Roads are clear for them, helps reduce traffic in the day too, seems like an intelligent approach. Why they can't do that in my region! The motorways here are totally empty at 2am, but during rush hour the traffic is insane and half of the traffic length is HGVs. If I made my living as a trucker then I would do my driving at night. And when I lived in the West End they banned HGVs during certain hours so all the big trucks would do their deliveries in the middle of the night.

Not a complete cure, but certainly would go some way towards reducing congestion on motorways, and saving precious expensive diesel fuel for the hauliers.

Another idea would be if people works flexi-time, and people take it in each turn,eg 7am, 8am, 9am & 10am shift.

In my high street all the shop are open 9am and too many staff with hardly anyone buying, why not have 25% of staff opening the shop and the rest come in say 10am onward and maybe school children start at say 9.30am. All this I think will reduce traffic problem.

We do 90% of delivery at night because the M25 problem and I can see this is catching on as well.

In a lot of instances these days the delivery times are outside the control of the HGV driver. Due to the high cost of storage space, many firms use just-in-time, rather than carrying high stocks.

Plus many councils, because of complaints from residents, have weight and/or time limits on trucks delivering at night. Forcing them to deliver at peak times.

I should think the truck problems are also worse for Southeners due the proximity of the busiest ports.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to go off topic.

Pip I'm serious! I cannot reveal what I have done (it is perfectly legal BTW, just not to the liking of the military rulers of Burma, putting it mildly), or I will put people who are stuck in Burma at risk.

You know how it is with a military regime. You just disappear one day, and are never found....So I just keep my mouth shut. It doesn't matter because what we did has had the intended result, ie broadcasting to anyone who is interested just what happened in Burma in 1988. Of course, the junta didn't want this to get out, but we had other ideas.

Basically, there was a student demo, and the soldiers got trigger happy and killed many people for no reason, then moved the bodies to imply that the students had been looting etc, giving the military a reason to shoot. This was NOT the case - they were demonstrating perfectly peacefully, without any violence whatsoever.

And of course, anything/one that contradicts the military rulers..........

AdamW --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a big drive last week and noticed that in Scotland and the North the HGV drivers mainly come out in the middle of the night

====
Thats so they can clog the south during the rush hour. :p

Seriously, though, if Tone made it financially easier for co's to shift freight at night, that would free-up road space.

And now talk of off roaders( im not one of them ) paying double the congestion charge! where is the justification in that? to pick on individuals like that is undermining the fabric of the justice system it'll be one rule for one and another for the others, silly me, we have it already! With the general public and those in charge.
So it's alright if you drive a formula one car to cause congestion but a 4x4 NO!!!

Ah, but if you convert it to duel-fuel (even LPG) then you are exempt. Even if it is a minibus and you are the only one in it, and you are running on petrol. Great or what? :D

AdamW said:
Ah, but if you convert it to duel-fuel (even LPG) then you are exempt. Even if it is a minibus and you are the only one in it, and you are running on petrol. Great or what? :D
just doesn't make sense it's got nothing to do with "congestion".
and now Red Ken has charge of the railways so expect a surcharge there aswell! How do they expect us to get to work anymore, Fly?

Sponsored Links
Back