Express lane for car sharers on M3

I've got a brilliant idea. Why don't all of us in the south become unemployed (means we can take up smoking, if you believe Dr John Reid!). We can have a few pickets and complain that the government has closed the mines or something.

Then, all the jobs can move up north and we can switch the N-S divide. It'd be great, we wouldn't have to go to work, they would be supporting us! Even better if we could get Scotland and Europe to subsidise us for a change!!!

Now if that ain't contraversial, I dunno what is :D

If anyone needs me, I'll be down the market to buy a tracksuit and some special brew.

Sponsored Links
Traffic Jams,

yeh, we get those in the South West too. Once I was held up for FIVE! minutes whilst a farmer herded his cows across the road!

:D

Need some compensation for living in the back of beyond, never liked communial ponds !!

P

Adam.....In what way are you subsidising me?

I live in Cheshire, Yorkshire 1 hour, Peak District 3/4 hour, N Wales 1 hour. Having worked many times within the M25 circle it offers me nothing by way of quality of life, that any of the above can. It is expensive, polluted, overcrowded and loud.

You are being naive in your comments about the miners strike.
This strike was instigated and prolonged by a greedy and spiteful woman with her own agenda, who found a match in the equally bad and loadmouthed Scargill. This country is still paying heavily for her period in office. How old were you at the time of the strike Adam?

Everybody knows full well about the north-south divide, I feel sorry for the good people of the south, their quality of life is being ruined by inept politicians. Life will only get worse for you in the future if they don't ater their centralist ways.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear oh dear, I think my dark humour was a little short of humourous! What I mean is, England subsidises Scotland. It also subsidises the EU in that it pays in more than it receives back.

The miners' strike, well, I wouldn't have been old enough to understand it (born in 1980). But my post was not to be taken seriously! The reason I mentioned it is because I was in Yorkshire on Sunday, we drove past a former coal mine. The discussion in the car happened to be on politics at the time, the guy driving offered the opinion "Politicians shouldn't need to have armed police watching them, they should be responsible for their actions thus a good politician has nothing to fear." My response was "A lot of people thought Maggy was a brilliant PM, but she didn't half pi** off a lot of coal miners." Anyway, the whole thing of coal mines was stuck in my head. I can't take sides on it, but from what little I know of it I do suspect I would be on Thatcher's side (don't hate the player, hate the game!)

My father comes come New Silksworth, his father was a bricky for the coal board but would have been retired by the time of the strikes.

I apologise for any offence caused. If you re-read my last post now, you will probably see what I meant.

Adam....no offence is taken.

Your opinion of that woman is probably because you live in the south, an area which was largely unaffected by her actions with the miners. Incidently, we later imported coal, which was mined by children because it was cheaper.

But lets stay with the present traffic problems. She sold off the railways, the first thing the buyers did was separate the property side of BR. Currently profitable and owning vast areas in all the main cities. The trains? back to being subsidised by us. The busses were de-regulated, we now have awful services and cut backs, guess what? all subsidised by us in fuel rebates and council tax subsidies. When did you last see a small local bus station? most went to property developers.

This woman was spiteful and wicked, As a life long tory till she came to power I am being very generous and kind in my description of her. I can remember her smiling and grinning at needlessly causing whole areas hardship, she really enjoyed it.

Maybe a lot of previous comments are tongue in cheek, but arnt we beter of than our parents & there parents.
No doubt now we will have endless posts on defining beter off.
I would start by saying quality of life.
Getting back to the original post if we wernt so well off we wouldnt be into the 2 car familes which caused the original post I think. :LOL:

Diyisfun said:
Getting back to the original post if we wernt so well off we wouldnt be into the 2 car familes which caused the original post I think. :LOL:
I don't think so, there are so many re-mortaged and loans plus HP thus the reason people are better off but they don't own anything until the loans is paid back ! This country has got a massive debt problems and sadly the bubble got to burst sometime. We now live in a society that people want items now or yesterday !

Let's not beat around the bush. Let's exercise our right of free speech.

HER name is Margaret Hilda (Milk Snatcher) Thatcher, and she was the first in a line of PM's, amongst many other atrocious things, to start a useless and petty war (Falklands), followed by Major (Gulf War I) and Bliar (Gulf War II).

Some people loved her because their wages were lightly taxed and their fat bank accounts got fatter, but she did incredible amounts of damage to the country and its people.

Let's just say that I CHEERED when I saw the pictures of her wiping tears from her eyes as she was driven away from No 10.

Also for D&J's deliberate read D I E- L I B E R A TE !!

Watch the lawyer types wriggling now .... Reports on security ref Eyerak war !!

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time

We, the plucked geese, inevitably, are beginning to hiss louder and in unison !!

P

D & J

Deliberate, mate!

Went on the Manchester Anti-War March down Oxford Road to Albert Square (No, NOT that one!), carrying a banner that read "Veto War" on one side and "Liar Blair" on the other. Not very original, but it got noticed!
I like democracy in the way you can express your feelings openly without fear of recrimination. Unlike, for example, in Burma.

If you are interested in what happened there in the late 1980's, read my father's book (he was there) "Back To Mandalay" by Gerry Abbott,
ISBN: 974-524-042-7.

The events there were eclipsed by the Tianenmen Square Massacre, but were just as horrific.

I have to be extremely careful what I reveal, suffice to say that I played a small part in exposing this brutal human rights abuse to the western world.

Needless to say that life goes on in Burma much as it did in the 80's, despite the death of military "leader", Ne Win, while the democratically elected leader remains under house arrest.

Blimey SS, we depart from the frivolous ... I mean no harm here but when you say "...I have to be extremely careful what I reveal", bet you are dying to reveal all, really ....... I agree, not the time or place for that.

Just wish we, as a nation, could do a Switzerland ... get out of the world turmoil, then provide by example a decent and fair, model society, we aint gonna succeed by that old, misguidedly trusted method ... Bombardment. Look where that got us !!

I must add something, on tolerance, just have to read through the forums ... seems intolerance, be it just of DIYers or simple ignorance is pretty rife, just bubbling away .... Slap before offering help ?

P

pipme said:
Just wish we, as a nation, could do a Switzerland
Surpising Switzerland is the richest country in the world as they never has a war and don't get involves, so therefore they don't get threaten and they have got it right. My own opinion about war, it doesn't solve anything but terrorism instead. Why does Britian get sucks in everytime ? Sadly we are now living in fear of bombing because of Blair's war

Sorry gone off topic here from M3 to war :)

Perhaps more PC to stick rigidly to the topic subject ? Nah, nice to let it all hang out :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back