roof damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after the gales the other day mortar has fell out and it looks like the last row of tiles have lifted. We havent lived there long but I remember looking at the roof from street level before we bought the house and they didnt look like they do now. A tradesman doing work on our house at the moment says they look fine to him, that the roof has 'sunk' slightly and that he doesnt think the gales caused them to look this way. Im convinced it all looked straight before and was about to contact the insurance. Tradesman says they will just come out and replace the missing mortar and he wouldnt claim. He says the tiles are held by clips and wont have moved. He isnt a roofer so could anyone advise me if they could have lifted with the clips on before I look silly with the insurance company. Is it expensive to have the mortar replaced, we live on top of a hill and its always windy and I would sleep better knowing they wont get worse if the weather turns bad again.
We are having new facias in the near future so he said leave it until they are done.
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
dizzy said:
Hi, after the gales the other day mortar has fell out
Can you do a photo?
the roof has 'sunk' slightly
Can you do another photo of the internal roof in the loft area of where it has sunk?

Thanks for replying. Excuse my terminalogy, Im a total DIY disaster. I havent been in the loft yet! but will see what I can do re the photo. Its like the roof looked all uniform and straight when viewing from the front but now it looks all straight until the last row of tiles up the 'apex' (hope thats right?) which look lifted from the rest. It doesnt look sunken to me, just what the tradesman said.

The most common problem for roof to sag are the way the purlin butt together.

The purlin is the biggest timber joist supporting all the rafters.

Just wanted to see if you have that type of roof

Sponsored Links
The verge tiles rest on the gable wall and so it is common for them to give the appearance of being lifted, when in fact it is the roof timbers which have settled slightly. This is what seems to have occured according to your description and the tradesmans. But a photo would confirm.

If this is the case, they will never go flat if relaid.

If it's just a small area then repoint.
But, if a significant amount of the verge mortar has come out (or is loose), then repointing is a waste of time as it will just be out again in a short time.

The tiles need to be taken off, and relaid onto new mortar and possibly undercloak (the white bit which holds up the mortar).

How much it will cost, will depend on the extent. Get some quotes. If the quotes come in at more than £200, then consider claiming on your insurance, as it maybe more cost effective. But check your policy terms and excess.

If you tell the people quoting that it may be an insurance job, then the quotes will more than double

Hi, thanks for the replies. Husband agrees that the roof tiles didnt look 'raised' when we bought the house so I rang the insurance and as they have had so many claims due to the gales have given me the go ahead to get someone in to sort them out. They have allowed upto £500, which is to include a damaged conservatory perspex roof sheet that got pierced by a flying tile! and want a report of the work done. If it turns out to be more extensive than this then Ive to ring them again. Im going to get a quote and if its a nothing job then we wont claim.
Woody, thanks for explaining that, it is the verge tiles, they look secure on the gable side but dont seem to sit flush with the rest of the tiles any more if you know what I mean. I picked a piece of undercloak off the floor along with the mortar so maybe they do need taking off and refitting.
Thanks to everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back