Roof diagonal cross bracing

My span is over 8m so ill need the double stacked timber also. We have installed trusses before and did this by hand. My trusses will be 8m span and 3m high. Think they will be 85kg but lifting these ones up might be heavy unless i get another 3 men in for help.
It's not so much the weight, though this is a massive factor, rather it's the wieldiness and awkwardness and the sheer size of the bloody things! Plus they just want to tip over because they are leggy and top heavy. You will deffo need a crane!

Sponsored Links
Would 9mm ply have enough strength for bracing. id have thought it would need thicker.

We have allowed for standard 22x100 Stability Bracing to brace the sloping ceiling areas of attic and raised tie trusses. This will necessitate the packing out on site of the sloping ceiling section of roof trusses. An alternative would be to sheath the sloping ceiling in 9mm ply.

You can do either way, i.e. pack out or ply it. And yes, 9mm ply will suffice. It's about surface area and an abundance of screws. Ply sheathing on any timber structure adds an incredible amount of stiffening.

When your back on site, can you please take more pics of all angles of the bracing and what youll be doing once you go back.
I can edit a short video if you wish?

I barely have the time to whip out my phone and take pics! Lol.
I'll do my best.;)

I can edit a short video if you wish?

I barely have the time to whip out my phone and take pics! Lol.
I'll do my best.;)

I know how it is on site. At times i didnt even have time for a **** haha but all info would be great with pics or videos. Have installed trusses before but never these raised tie ones. I was thinking maybe a scissor lift could do aswell. Rememebr using one years ago for attic trusses. Lifted the trusses over, tied onto a post that was braced onto the scissor lift and straight up it went.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking maybe a scissor lift could do aswell. Rememebr using one years ago for attic trusses. Lifted the trusses over, tied onto a post that was braced onto the scissor lift and straight up it went.
You have to get them off the lorry (safely) also. How are you going to get them across the plates?

We had the added headache of next doors' telephone cable running diagonally across most of the site. At one point the cable actually snagged into his hook. You could not make it up!

You have to get them off the lorry (safely) also. How are you going to get them across the plates?

We had the added headache of next doors' telephone cable running diagonally across most of the site. At one point the cable actually snagged into his hook. You could not make it up!

If the lorry has the lift on the back that sorts that out. Then its a matter of installing like this below. I know it isnt using a crane or a teleporter but ive worked on jobs where trusses have been installed like below. Going back 30 years i remember seeing trusses lifted up by hand onto roofs and the roofs today havent had any issues.

Did the same on a job last yer. Cut the telephone cable and cut the internet off on 3 houses. Youd think the world had ended for them 3 houses when they all came out because they hadnt no internet haha

Eh?
He won't be able to move then 6m+....? You WILL need a crane or a lot of blokes.

The lorry lifts them of the lorry to the ground and me and 3 men will be able to lift them into place. The 3 men will get beer money, family help.

ari's buddy likes to carry the trusses on their side.

Some of those methods above are questionable and can not always be applied to much heavier trusses or situations where there is a scaffold in place. The more trusses that go up, the less room for manoeuvre. You will regret not having a small crane.

Some of those methods above are questionable and can not always be applied to much heavier trusses or situations where there is a scaffold in place. The more trusses that go up, the less room for manoeuvre. You will regret not having a small crane.

I agree in certain sites however this is a garage with a 4.5m opening. They can be carried into garage, one end up on the wall plate, then the other then lifted up. If it comes to it, i will hire a teleporter but would prefer to keep costs down. Cranes are much more expensive than teleporters and if im right in thinking, they cant be hired without a man without a ticket for using one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back