Roof dormer Permitted development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put a staircase in that leads to a loft room.

The room was built before we bought the house, but does not have proper access.

To allow me to put in a staircase from the first floor landing I will need a side dormer to give enough head height. I gather I can do this under permitted development?

But what are the building regs? Do I need fire doors etc? It is a 1930's semi.thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm asking what the building regs are, I have just read that fself closing fire doors are no longer required as people used to prop them open.

Not forgetting of course to upgrade the whole floor for fire resistance, insulating the whole roof to current standards, having a protected escape route, and interlinked fire alarm.

And those are just some of the building regulations for fire safety. Don't forget that all the other relevant building regulations will apply. It's not just a case of throwing some stairs in.

Hi thanks for the info I had a company round today to quote, they suggested a rear dormer with a new gable end that would allow installation of a bathroom as well.

Appreciate what you say about all the building regs etc.

Just remember to get several quotes, and ensure that the firm knows about the planning and building regulation requirements. Be clear about who is dealing with the regulations and any applications, as ultimately it's you as the homeowner who is responsible if things are not followed.

Thanks for the help, we are thinking what to do as it's a large chunk of money. And I need to see if it's worth it.

I would like to put a staircase in that leads to a loft room.
Should have read.....

I would like to do a loft conversion along with all the staircase reg's, new structural floor and floor covering, steel beams, insulation and ventilation to the rafters, fire and escape regs', Velux windows, plumbing, electrics and a herd of plastering and second fix joinery.

The builder is right in his suggestion of converting your (by the sounds of it) hip end roof to gable end rather than fitting a dormer in the hip to give stair overhead clearance - would look silly also imho..

And the a normal dormer(s) out back for room head space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back