Roof hip repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Has anyone ever seen such a hip repair as this? Looks very dodgy to me, and it is sagging (visibly internally and externally). I can't think why this would be done. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
1. It will be a radical solution: remove the roof coverings as far back as necessary, probably to the king rafter and the last common rafter, then free the jack rafters and replace the hip rafter.

2.Attempt another codged bolt-on with nearly full length hip sections bolted to either side of the two pieces of hip rafter.
Any propping and jacking up will cause difficulties with the hip tiles and roof coverings.
Jacking up might even cause sagging and cracks in the loft joists and ceiling below.

Thanks Vinn. Is this something that a surveyor would pick up? I am concerned that the hips render the roof structure as insecure. I have never seen anything like this before.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back