Roof join/secret gutter kick-up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

New poster to the forum but have consulted it a number of times - perhaps I can ask for some views/opinions on a roofing issue?

I have had my semi-detached re-roofed over the past week. The roofer was recommended by a third party.

2 issues - first the join between my roof and my neighbours (which was done about 5 years ago) now has a significant kick-up either side. The roofer says this is because my neighbour's roof was 'a dog', he was not prepared to join into it and he has used a secret gutter which in turn has caused the kick up either side.

Previously the roofs were overlapped (I think) and my roofer removed quite a bit of expanding foam which I suspect is not ideal.

I am convinced that a secret gutter is a good thing on a roof join of this type but the kick-up is really quite pronounced and appears to have had the effect of spreading and slightly lifting the tiles either side. Does this seem right?

Second the tiles over all of the roof are not as flat as I think they should be - quite a few of the tiles seem lifted slightly at the edge as if the wind will catch them. Roofer says they are correctly fixed and will be fine but I must say on inspection other roofs round all seem flatter. Will the tiles 'settle' or should this be cause for concern?

Roofer is coming back tomorrrow for a chat.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'll get some pictures up first thing tomorrow, thanks.

Gav

Sponsored Links
Typical that it has snowed overnight so the photos are probably not a lot of help as it has created the illusion of flattening the roof out.

However, I think the you can still see the join
and how some of the tiles seem 'raised' or a bit proud (i mean in addition to the kick up).

There is of the back join as well
again the snow has covered everything but I notice there are gaps still visible and I wonder if that because the tiles are raised/proud

The third is a photo of the front
but the snow has pretty much flattened evything out optically (plus not enough zoom).

I'll try to get some close up shots today when the snow melts.

A couple of better photos now the snow's going. 1st shows the join - and the second shows one side of the roof.

The roofer has been round - he is admant he has done a good job and could not do anything else as the neighbours roof is/was not right and had no bonding.

He says the tiles that are proud will 'settle'.

I am relatively convinced but still far from sure and my neighbour is not a happy man.

I cannot for the life of me think why he would of even used a bonding gutter, so on that basis I am flummoxed.

I suppose on the basis the slates are angled inwards may invite the water to run beyond the secret gutter. Very hard to say. It may well be he's used the wrong type of GRP valley. I don't think the neighbours roof has anything to do with it. Get him to sign a document guaranteeing the valley not to cause problems. If he knows of a legit reason the he'll be happy to sign. Roofs aren't always straight forward. The slates will settle over time & the ones slightly raised won't cause a problem.

Looking at the diagrams provided by the manufacturer of the GRP gutter, they dont look quite right.
The tiles/slates each side appear to be floating in air above the battens. This gives the impression that when finished, the roof will be flat. In practice, it won't be because the tiles/slates will ride up a little over the lip of the gutter.
I think your roofer's done it right, and that the product is intended to be applied like this - but it doesn't suggest this in the mfrs. drawings.
From the pics, it looks OK so what's the worry?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back