Roof ladder size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a roof ladder. Mainly for TV aerial work and the odd repair here and there.

What is the length of the average house roof? I normally borrow my friends ladder which has always reached but I'm getting more and more calls for this sort of work and feel bad always borrowing his so I'd like to get my own.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of your van really but 6 metres would be a starting point.

Sponsored Links
I drive a short wheel base transit. I normally carry a 3M triple extension ladder which fits nicely on the roof bars. When I borrow my mates roof ladder it's certainly longer, but not 6M. This seems far too big to me, as I've never had a roof bigger than his ladder, and would hire one if this was an issue.

Also what's the deal with home made cat ladders made from bits of roofing lat? I have a friend who's an old roofer and always uses this for accessing roofs but they seem really unsafe to me.

Does anyone use these and are they safe in your opinion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back