Roof lead flashing by eaves broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for a bit of advice . I have a 13 year old 3 storey torn house . This morning I noticed a few pieces of lead on the floor and it looks like pieces have come off one side of the flashing by the eaves ( please see pics ) . Is this something I would need fixing as could water ingress and if so at what cost normally ?

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7152.JPG
    IMG_7152.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_7153.JPG
    IMG_7153.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_7156.JPG
    IMG_7156.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_7157.JPG
    IMG_7157.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 268
Sponsored Links
I doubt its lead. that's called undercloaking and it supports the mortar that you can see under the tiles, it also give an aesthetic finish. In it's self it doesn't provide any weathering, so from that point of view nothing to worry about, time will tell if any of the mortar starts to fall out. That will depend on how good a job they did originally. In your favour there are verge clips which will help a bit to consolidate the mortar.
Personally unless it all starts falling out I wouldn't worry.

Hi Chappers

Many thanks for your reply and putting my mind at ease . That's really helped and I'll keep an eye on it .

Kind regards

Mike

Could I just to support the mortar on that side where some of the undercloak has broken off would liquid fibreglass work ?

I know the undercloak doesn't provide any weather proofing but I'd like to support the mortar there a bit .

Would a cost of fibreglass do it underneath and if so how much would that cost ? It's literally just painting that area with fibreglass paint so should only take an hour ?

Or could new undercloaking just be slotted into the gaps ?

If new undercloaking was put in all of it is that a big job ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Fibreglass resin ??? 3 storey house. That's a long way up. You can't slot new undercloak in. To renew it all would require removing all the verge tiles and a ridge tile then re bedding the lot. Take chappers' advice, and if you want to examine it regularly get some binoculars- it's what surveyors use. As to water ingress it depends if the gable faces into the prevailing wind, if it's leeward you'll get none because the rain just blows along the roof and off. Any way it's not a big problem. Don't know why the undercloak is dropping small pieces though.

Thanks for the info Nige greatly appreciated .

I've been offered what I presume is a dry verge fitting on the gables by a friend of a friend . He said it would solve my concerns around possible mortar deterioration by protecting it and also improve how it looks and he said he'll do it all in for £300.

Will it do what he says it will and would/ should he have to remove all the mortar from the edges or just fit the system over it ?

I think the undercloak has broken because a cleaner has obviously washed the side gables but bashed into the undercloak

Cheers

I'm pretty sure you need to remove the old undercloak and mortar before fitting those kits, so make sure the price includes that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back