Roof Leak - Would this let in water?

rvp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, thoughts please

Got around an inch of water currently sat on my Garage floor after some persistent rain.

Garage is in a block and the neighbours to the right has no Roof whatsover so I am thinking water is coming in through the join ( where the bricks are )

Any advice much appreciated, driving me nuts!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi rvp.

Short answer is yes Persistent driving rain in the correct direction can and will fill your Garage with rain water.

Suggest you have a word with the Neighbour and ask him to water proof his roof [or the junction of his void and your roof] after all you cannot go into your Neighbours property to effect repairs?

As an aside how long has this situation been like this? You do not have an area where you live, England Ireland, Wales, Etc. it may be possible? to get the local to you Environmental health Department, in effect your Property is suffering damage because of the action of the neighbour?

Any more information, if possible? could assist, there is a lot of good advice available in here?

Ken.

Hi rvp.

Short answer is yes Persistent driving rain in the correct direction can and will fill your Garage with rain water.

Suggest you have a word with the Neighbour and ask him to water proof his roof [or the junction of his void and your roof] after all you cannot go into your Neighbours property to effect repairs?

As an aside how long has this situation been like this? You do not have an area where you live, England Ireland, Wales, Etc. it may be possible? to get the local to you Environmental health Department, in effect your Property is suffering damage because of the action of the neighbour?

Any more information, if possible? could assist, there is a lot of good advice available in here?

Ken.

Hi Ken, thanks for replying.

I live in Manchester so plenty of rain! Neighbour is not the slightest bit interested their Roof or lack of has been like that for 4 years or more.

I have recently replaced mine but I now need to sort the join out due to my roof stopping short of neighbours roof.

Sponsored Links
Anyone have any other thoughts on this? trying to track down where the water is coming in from.

Update.

It looks like it is indeed leaking from where I thought it was - adjoining Garage wall where I placed bricks in first pic.

I just took these whilst it's raining pretty heavy and this is the result

Question now is, how do I best sort this short of re-roofing my neighbours roof!

I was thinking, could I just fill the gap between mine and theirs with concrete along with some more bricks?

If it were mine I'd fill the gap using roofing felt, possibly fastened to those noggins?

If it were mine I'd fill the gap using roofing felt, possibly fastened to those noggins?

Cheers honda, that did flash through my mind too although not sure how I'd attach it to my steel Roof - maybe lift it a little and slide it under perhaps.

I just want the easiest most cost effective way to stop my Garage getting wet really.

Hi, rvp.

in my original post I had assumed that the neighbours Garage was undergoing, shall we say "Renovation"?

As for a cheap and cheerful "Fix"

How about you fix some flat sheet material, old Ply, old wide boarding under your steel roofing, the reason for this is so you can "Fix" felt again tucked under your Steel roof sheets and fixed to the ply / boards previously fitted.

The rational behind fixing the Felt to the Ply / boards is that in a Storm Felt on its own will be blown away?

The felt could be fixed to a batten, the batten fitted to the inner surface of the neighbours Garage, BUT.

A lot of the above will require the shall we say Co-Operation of the adjacent Neighbour

Never mind that particularly English law about a party wall [or something like that] Glad we do not have those restrictions up here.

Hope this assists? it is all down to Co-Operation and your neighbour?

Ken.

Hi, rvp.

in my original post I had assumed that the neighbours Garage was undergoing, shall we say "Renovation"?

As for a cheap and cheerful "Fix"

How about you fix some flat sheet material, old Ply, old wide boarding under your steel roofing, the reason for this is so you can "Fix" felt again tucked under your Steel roof sheets and fixed to the ply / boards previously fitted.

The rational behind fixing the Felt to the Ply / boards is that in a Storm Felt on its own will be blown away?

The felt could be fixed to a batten, the batten fitted to the inner surface of the neighbours Garage, BUT.

A lot of the above will require the shall we say Co-Operation of the adjacent Neighbour

Never mind that particularly English law about a party wall [or something like that] Glad we do not have those restrictions up here.

Hope this assists? it is all down to Co-Operation and your neighbour?

Ken.

Cheers Ken.

Neighbour as I say is not one bit interested in her Garage - she hasn't set foot in it since god knows when, it has rotting junk in there like a sofa etc.

I am going to go down the board with felt route I think making sure it covers the wall.

hi rvp

Try and get a "disclaimer" from the neighbour stating that she has no interest in what goes on as regards your attempts to waterproof your garage.

In general, the more felt you can get on to the neighbours side of the wall the better, if you get what I mean?

One draw back is that any water accumulating on the floor of the adjacent garage may? run back under the party wall and into your garage?

Ken

hi rvp

Try and get a "disclaimer" from the neighbour stating that she has no interest in what goes on as regards your attempts to waterproof your garage.

In general, the more felt you can get on to the neighbours side of the wall the better, if you get what I mean?

One draw back is that any water accumulating on the floor of the adjacent garage may? run back under the party wall and into your garage?

Ken

Yep, got ya Ken.

I'll make sure I go onto her side stopping short off re roofing hers!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back