Roof lift without planning permission

It sounds to me like you have the correct team in place with regard to solicitor and surveyor, I think you should now take their advice, whatever that is. The pix BTW look dreadful.

I agree with @^woody^ - if the builder and designer are both proper companies then they should be carrying insurances, so your solicitor may advise a claim against those.

Sponsored Links
Sorry im making this really confusing. We had a single joint expert who did our report (sorry i keep calling it a part 35 report couldnt remember the name of it)

They did mess about with the party wall, knocked out 4 chimney breasts lowered the floors upstairs for head room and did something with the chimney. Thats mentioned in the report too.

I didn't think the council would be interested in that part so I was focusing on the ridge high.

They gutted the whole house and move out for months.

Our surveyor rang their surveyor and he was told that he no longer works for the company. Seems very convenient.

We'll press on but from the sounds of it the council won't have much to say but it was worth a punt, even if it was just to vent to them.

Last edited:
If you have a single joint expert, then you must surely be quite a way down the legal path already, so I wonder what you expect to gain from posting here?

And then you mention "our surveyor" and "their surveyor". So I'm confused more than usual now.

The issues you complain about and the alleged damage and poor work, are not PW issues.

Sponsored Links
@^woody^ sorry, when i say our surveyor i mean the single joint expert. Their servayor was the one that was overseeing the build and whoever did the completion cert.

I just wanted the council to tell them it was a bag of crap. Not that that will help the outcome but might make it sink in for them that we do actually have a valid point.

Thanks anyway

Building control came out about 4 or 5 weeks after we complained and nothing was said to the neighbours he went in our house and said he felt sorry for the neighbours because of the state of the work and that was that. he said they had an independent surveyor, and something along the lines of surveyors don't like to get involved and butt head with other surveyors.

As for the legal path we are a fair way into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back