Roof of terraced house. Who is responsible?

A Domestic Client has a responsibility under H/S that the workperson they bring in to do a job are capable of carrying out the job it in a way that it avoids harm to ANYONE

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/areyou/client.htm
Still LOL.

So my 86 year old gran not only needs to to know the classics such as CDM Regs, HSAW Act, the six-pack regs ,COSHH, etc, but also needs to know that these actually exist in the first place so as to make her assesment! If not she can get prosecuted for manslaughter.

And when Doris, her 60 year old friend from bingo comes to help with a bit of dusting on Thursdays, the CDM regs apply because this is building maintenance.

And when George from the bridge club helps to take down that old rotten pegola, she needs to review his risk assessments and method statements, because that too is a structure and so the full weight of H&S law applies.

Please.:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
There was an accident in our local area several years ago, where a Householder employed an "odd job man" to replace a broken window pane , (second floor window), being rather blaise the "odd job man" did not bother to secure or lash his ladder, a freak gust of wind caught the ladder and blew it down and he was killed.
Health and Safety put in their report and the Householder was charged with manslaughter, allowing a person to work on their property without the correct safety procedure in place, the householder argued the point as the property was empty and that no one else was there to see what the "odd job man" was doing, the sole responsibility was up to the "odd job man" The verdict was changed to accidental Death .

Do these roofers magically teleport themselves instantly from home direct to the roof, likewise for the materials, and have no other vehicle costs, tool costs, insurance costs, telephone costs, paper costs, work clothes costs, nothing?

Likewise for all their other jobs that day so that they can move instantly to seven other jobs that day, or is their hourly rate so high it covers a whole day's work?

To give the OP an idea of what is involved it is an hours work on the roof...2 or 3 quotes will give you a better idea.

Sponsored Links
There was an accident in our local area several years ago, where a Householder employed an "odd job man" to replace a broken window pane , (second floor window), being rather blaise the "odd job man" did not bother to secure or lash his ladder, a freak gust of wind caught the ladder and blew it down and he was killed.
Health and Safety put in their report and the Householder was charged with manslaughter, allowing a person to work on their property without the correct safety procedure in place, the householder argued the point as the property was empty and that no one else was there to see what the "odd job man" was doing, the sole responsibility was up to the "odd job man" The verdict was changed to accidental Death .
Is that case reported anywhere?

Anyway that seems odd, as going by your original comment it will matter not if the building was occupied or not, as the client should have sight of the relevant documents to ensure competency regardless, and also the risk assessments to either allow lone working or not. So if it is indeed correct that homeowner should be somebody's bitch in prison.

no ones said its a single owner ridge - the OP's first post has said the ridge is shared between two houses.
' no ones said its a single owner ridge ' - who said anybody did say that :?::!: It isn't a shared ridge, the ridge to the roof over the house on the right belongs to the house on the right , etc etc. The only part that could be shared is the ridge over the party wall. I didn't ask my neighbour to contribute to my ridge repairs and I wouldn't expect them to ask me to contribute to theirs.

leofric, your totaly missin the point pal - nit pickin isnt goin to save you

54256885_2663529027008700_820326130627117056_n.jpg

leofric, your totaly missin the point pal - nit pickin isnt goin to save you
o_Owhat are you on about ? What point am I missing ?
The original query was actually answered in the first reply .
Their ridge , their problem.
which is what I was saying.
By the way, I have noticed you before on this forum making snide remarks to other people who comment on here.
p.s .has your computer got a spellchecker ?:!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back