Roof problem attaching to party wall.

Sponsored Links
It appears my previous post has been moderated away*

Even with my, somewhat cavalier; approach to PP/BR and signoff's for small to moderate jobs**,
I wouldn't dream of embarking on a project of this scale simply hoping it would slip under the radar.

Good luck with your endeavors (genuinely),
make sure you keep detailed records of all of your materials and photo's of construction details in hope to minimise the amount you have to tear back to enable inspection in the likely eventual discovery by the authorities.

*i'd posted a picture of a bucket of popcorn as a way of saying, 'this is about to become entertaining'. Hardly worth moderating out,
but I must concede not especially constructive or helpful either.

** I mean the job is done to a high standard and is superior to the previous condition, but I don't get them to come along and hold my hand through-out.

In answer to some of the questions, yes it is being done under building control.
The BCO is happy with the work done so far, including the brickwork, lintels etc.

I was just looking for ideas in working out how to fit the roof in to the existing setup. Some forum members have given me enough helpful advice to push me in the right direction. The "you've not got a clue, grab the popcorn etc" crowd, not so helpful but then I guess they don't know my situation so I'm not offended!

Thanks again Ree for useful help. The ivy is coming off when I get time. Under the sand is the compacted hardcore. Once I decide on which flooring to use (and therefore the thickness of slab) I'll lay the DPM, lap it up the walls higher than the DPC and lay the concrete slab. The rest of the house has concrete floors.

I am thinking that the best course of action is to move the soil stack in line with the toilet outlet will get rid of the horizontal pipe and allow a much greater flexibility in the height the roof can abut the wall.

The bricks on the top of the party wall are crumbling and I might be in the position, with the neighbour's agreement, to remove them and the tile layer and build the wall up a bit and finish it off with some coping or saddle, at a high enough level to allow me to flash my roof into.

Does that seem like the best solution?

Sponsored Links
Yes the end ridge tile blew off a fairly recently, missing my car by what must have been millimetres as it ended up half under the car.
It is on my (very long) list of stuff to do!

How does the BCO know the large span lintel is adequate if you or he does not even know what roof load is going to be on it?

How did the BCO miss the DPM tieing in detail?

Have you actually calculated the window area over floor area?

What bearing does the large lintel have each end?

Why were the drains not thought about sooner, i.e. when digging the footings? I'm thinking you could have made things a lot simpler sooner.

Using your neighbours wall as a party wall is to be avoided at best. Using a parapet wall as a party wall is suicidal. Why did you not build your own as the extension is vast?

How are the flat roof loadings going to effect the existing patio door opening?

Has your builder got any building design knowledge?

The SVP stack I would move so that the SVP was directly in line with the the loo outlet as it exits the wall. I would also consider taking the venting part of the stack internally up through the existing bathroom via a 3" breather stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back