Roof problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1970's mid terrace which is an ex council whimpy build I think.

The tiles are marley or similar all appear to be in ok condition.

The problem started in the wetter months when I noticed a few damp patches on my newly plastered bathroom ceiling :eek:

Looking up in the loft there are multiple rips in the bitumen? underfelt, one is directly above one damp spot, the other further up towards the pitch which may coincide with the other damp patch which is near where the soil stack punches through the ceiling/roof.

I've been up on the roof and noticed some of the mortar around the ridge tiles is loose or missing.

I'm looking to get it fixed whilst the weather has perked up.

Should I bee looking for other signs of ingress on the roof itself, or is the felt the cause of the issues? I was always under the impression the felt was more of a moisture barrier, whereas the roof tiles themselves keep the rain out!

It looks like I will have to get some scaffolding up and take the roof off and the felt, but unsure which felt to buy, also where I stand with overlapping the 2 neighbours felt.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Cheers, Sam

Sponsored Links
Tiles often let water in and if there is any holes/damage to the felt its going to show inside as yours is doing.If it were a slate roof it probably would not be leaking.

So it sounds like a re felt of the roof is required, rather than patching holes here and there for ever more.

What underfelt would you recommend, the bitumen based stuff that is existing, or this breathable membrane stuff I see about all the time?

Cheers, Sam

Sponsored Links
Many roofs in older properties have no underlay or felt whatsoever and they do not leak. As mentioned already in the thread, tiles, if in good condition, will not leak. If there are leaks there are problems with the tiles/falshings, the felt is just a back-up. In the first instance the solution is to fix the tiles not the felt.

Tiles often let water in.

No they don't.
Off course they do.freddymercurystwin hit the nail on the head "If in good condition" OP said "appear to be in good condition".Now just because tiles are not broken and look ok to the housholder it does not mean that is the case.As im sure any roofer knows tiles become porus and thus water ingres takes place.

Roof tiles do not often let water in.

Damaged tiles do. Any damaged roof product is likely to admit water because the primary goal for roof products is to protect against water/weather. If this is the case then you fix the tile.

Having one broken tile does not mean the roof has become porous.

Roof tiles do not just "become porous". If this were the case then millions of roofs would be admitting water.

I have done nothing else other than work with buildings for all of my adult life. I have never seen a roof "become porous".

Roof tiles do not often let water in.

Damaged tiles do. Any damaged roof product is likely to admit water because the primary goal for roof products is to protect against water/weather. If this is the case then you fix the tile.

Having one broken tile does not mean the roof has become porous.

Roof tiles do not just "become porous". If this were the case then millions of roofs would be admitting water.

I have done nothing else other than work with buildings for all of my adult life. I have never seen a roof "become porous".
Are you saying roof tiles will not become porus with age lol.I have done nothing but roofing for all my adult life.

All concrete products are porous to a degree. Whether or not it becomes a problem is another matter.

How many 250 yr old Staffy blue roofs do you see admitting water?

Are you saying that all roofs over a certain age will start to admit water?

Do you paint roofs for a living Cumbrian 30yroldsexpest?

All concrete products are porous to a degree. Whether or not it becomes a problem is another matter.

How many 250 yr old Staffy blue roofs do you see admitting water?

Are you saying that all roofs over a certain age will start to admit water?

Do you paint roofs for a living Cumbrian 30yroldsexpest?
I certanly do not paint roofs no i leave that to the same lot that paint houses in such coatings(waste of money) why do you paint roofs ;) .Lets take flat marley and russel double romans as an example.Now a roof done with the fore mentioned @ 30+ years old may look ok to the house holder but looking ok does not mean they are.The could be porus could they not?The OP said "appears to be ok" appearnces can be deceptive.Now over to you "noseall" for the last word.Off course all roofs of a certain age will not let in water.

ROOF TILES DO NOT BECOME POROUS WITH AGE.

FACT: CONCRETE PRODUCTS GAIN STRENGTH WITH AGE.

ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU THAT ROOF TILES ADMIT WATER BECAUSE THEY ARE OLD IS CONNING YOU.

ABSOLUTE BLARNEY.

ROOF TILES DO NOT BECOME POROUS WITH AGE.

FACT: CONCRETE PRODUCTS GAIN STRENGTH WITH AGE.

ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU THAT ROOF TILES ADMIT WATER BECAUSE THEY ARE OLD IS CONNING YOU.

ABSOLUTE BLARNEY.
Someones been googling. ;) If you have been in the trade all your life then surley you have come across porus roof tiles have you not?I certanly have.In the town where i live there is an estate where most of the original tiled roofs are indeed porus.I know as i have re roofed quite a few of them and guess what rather than becoming stronger they are wait for it "brittle".ps,Dont believe everything you read on the net "tiles do not become porus,tiles gain strength" PLEASE.I bet that quote is from a company that manufactures/sells tiles?PS,IF WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE WHY ARE TILES NOT RE-USED LIKE SLATE IF THEY BECOME STRONGER AND DONT GET PORUS?

Any of the big names in roof tiles produce a reliable product.

I would get in side the loft when it's raining hard and also when it's Very cold outside.

If there is water dripping through the holed felt then there is a roof problem

If the underside of the felt is generally damp and dripping around the punctures then it's a condensation problem

The holed felt is easy to fix and worth doing provided the rest is in good shape.

RE stripping the roof, What ever you do you are governed by the roof each side.
So if the tiles are leaking then they are probably on over gauge.. in which case your stuffed because you would need to do the neighbours too... and their neighbours etc etc

If it's just the ridge then no problem.

Slate and clay are naturally occurring products and bare absolutely no resemblance to concrete whatsoever.

Slate delaminates so does clay. These have altogether differing problems to concrete products.

Concrete does not arbitrarily become porous full stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back