Roof rafter spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks.would 600mm centres be ok for a garage roof,4m span with 8x2 rafters.

Sponsored Links
All depends on your loading but C16 timbers with a snow load of 0.75kn/m2 and dead load of 0.75 kn/m2 gives a deflection of 11mm against an allowable of 12mm and a bending moment of 1.9knm against an allowable of 2 knm

Not sure if you are flat or sloping roof but these tables will help

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you are flat or sloping roof but these tables will help
Neither of the tables you linked to permit 4m with 8x2 C16 and 0.75/0.75 loadings?

No. I think you are just under (C24) at that span. At 450mm c/c (C24) you may just nick it.
Depends on the loadings, lighter weight constructions of not-regularly-walked-on will be acceptable

Last edited:
Neither of the tables you linked to permit 4m with 8x2 C16 and 0.75/0.75 loadings?
Never said they did, just some reference tables that don't flag up 200 x 50 joists either just to give him a feel for things but thanks for the heads up

Last edited:
Even with two fat blokes and a pallet of bacon sandwiches the roof will stay up. The main concern is that the joists will deflect over time leading to ponding.

Thanks peeps for your input.just gonna go 400mm spacing I think with 18mm osb.only a garage at the end of the day‍♂️

Never said they did, just some reference tables that don't flag up 200 x 50 joists either just to give him a feel for things but thanks for the heads up
Ah, I thought your first paragraph was giving the deflection etc you'd calculated from the OP's spec, plus some assumptions, and declaring the proposed joists to be just on the right side of acceptable..

Ah, I thought your first paragraph was giving the deflection etc you'd calculated from the OP's spec, plus some assumptions, and declaring the proposed joists to be just on the right side of acceptable..
I was but not from the OP spec as he only gave a joist size, but from my loading assumptions which showed with the loadings assumed the joist size to comply with acceptable parameters

I was but not from the OP spec as he only gave a joist size, but from my loading assumptions which showed with the loadings assumed the joist size to comply with acceptable parameters
Are you running your calcs on a 200x50 size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back