Roof straps on attic conversion

M

marsaday

I have to use starps to tie the roof into the gable walls on my attic conversion - 6 each side. They span 3 rafters and it says i must apply noggins between the rafters where these straps sit.

I just wondered if i really need to use these noggins ? Or can i just screw through into the 3 rafters only?

Sponsored Links
The noggins will be much stronger and prevent the straps from bending or buckling under extreme forces. It's just a few bits of timber, do it.

ok. I am using 40mm screws to hold the strap in place under the noggins. Are these ok for size. there are lots per strap mind.

absolutely fine, one in each noggin and one in each rafter

Sponsored Links

all the noggins do is to stop the timbers moving so you should have noggins all the way across. but as rafters you take the choice...

and the ties should be in the cavity... ie the bent bit should be against the cavity side of your inner skin...

all the noggins do is to stop the timbers moving so you should have noggins all the way across. but as rafters you take the choice...

and the ties should be in the cavity... ie the bent bit should be against the cavity side of your inner skin...

Noggins all the way across the centre in joists over 2.5m long, in order to stop the joists twisting and to help spread the loads as part of a load sharing system...
Definitely screw your 30x5 restraint straps to noggins between the rafters. See pages 19 and 20 at the link below for a suitable detail.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublications/LiteratureLibrary/Technical/filedownload,21418,en.pdf

LOL, I find myself actually agreeing with geraint :eek: :LOL:

And importantly, don't forget that tiny first noggin/packing piece between the first joist and the wall

As this is a retro fit for a loft conversion, I am assuming that you wouldn't have access to the inside of the cavity to fit these, even if you could get a fixing. Would you just screw them to the interior face of the inner leaf?

Just wondering, as I have a similar scenario. Noggins and so on is all good, just clarifying the end fitting.

Don't mean to hijack Marsaday, thought it might be useful to know as the normal incorporate during construction technique is unavailable.

You would drill or core drill, or if aerated blocks, saw a slot into the wall, and then slide the strap in and then turn it around to grip the wall

LOL, I find myself actually agreeing with geraint :eek: :LOL:

And importantly, don't forget that tiny first noggin/packing piece between the first joist and the wall

stick withe me boy and you will go far...... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hello

I've got a flank wall of a Victorian house that I need to strap into floor joists and rafters. The noggins between the joists and rafters make sense but I'm wondering how to fix the straps to a 100 year old wall that doesn't have cavities?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Cheers,
Josh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back