roof suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
need some suggestions on a propert im about to buy.
the building with the gable roof is the origional building and the front of the house, the flat roof is an extention, i want to do somthing radical with the building as i hate flat roofs, ive mentioned in another post about zinc roofs but i wanted to know what people thought about putting a gabble roof on the extention, or would that look stange due to it being wider than the front

Sponsored Links
have you considered a dual pitched roof with a box gutter?

that what i was thinking, the only 2 options i can see are a dual pitched roof or raising the flat roof with a bit of a pitch and covering it with zinc, what makes things worse is that as you can see in the layout below the rear extention isnt the same either side due to the boundry lines so its a bit unven!
it wont be until ive seen the origional deeds/plans for the house that i know how much i can extend it, i live in a bouse 3 doors down from the one im about to buy so it will be a nice close to home development

seka1980,
In the first instance if you've not already done, talk to the Planners and get their take on it. Local Authority's can take a dim view on extensions of that size!
Generally speaking, Planners do not like extensions that over dominate the existing dwelling and by existing they refer to how the house was first built.

Discussing the various methods for roofing such an extension is somewhat irrelevant until you have done this.

You can also rest assured that if you or other Forum members think the finished design is odd, so too will the Planners.

Sponsored Links
Or... how about a gable roof with a flat top or dummy pitch so the roof does not extend beyond the ridge of the existing house roof?

The extension is existing :idea: - I know it`s drastic but I can see 2 hipped roofs looking better - remodelling the existing gabled one - I just don`t like the join between 2 gabled ones over the door :cry: the back one over the existing :confused: flat could be a lower height to add a bit of interest. The gutter between the roofs would be a tapered one :idea: With steps if leaded or smooth if using a high tech ( german) sheet material - like the rubber ones but better - ( I have a sample from a good roofer who`s going to do mine later)

cheers guys, i think im going to be spending a lot of time on these forums over the next few months,
I'll try and explain my situation a bit clearer as this is going to be a complicated one!
ok, so as you can see in the drawing below, i have shown what i can work out as the original building with green walls, next i have shown an extension that was built about 15 years ago in red .finally i have drawn what i would like to build in blue.
i live 3 doors down and have a simular house which i extended 3 years ago , not needing planning as it was under 70cubic meters,now i see the rules have changed and is worked out by garden size , so im hoping i can join my extensiom to the one that was built 15 years ago and replace the whole lot with a pitched roof.
just to put a spanner in the works the extension that was done 15 years ago did not have planning or building regs,
although u guess planning wasnt needed

these building are very strange as they were origional built as holiday cottages for rich people in london to live in the summer with their mistresses

Hi

The original extension was probably built under something known as permitted development rules, however, now that that has been used up you will need to go for planning permission. Regretfully, the planning authority may say that the proposed extension is over-development of the site. Rather than get too far down this road you may wish to consider putting in an 'outline' planning permission which would be cheaper than a full plans application and would a least let you know if there are likely to be any obstacles to you getting approval.

As an add on comment - you should consider adding a hipped roof to cover the extension which would avoid the problem with on going maintenance of the valley gutter that you have created.

Regards

Rather than get too far down this road you may wish to consider putting in an 'outline' planning permission which would be cheaper than a full plans application and would a least let you know if there are likely to be any obstacles to you getting approval.
An Outline Planning Application for a rear extension to a dwelling eh, can you clarify as to exactly what you mean here alittlerespect?

an 'outline' planning permission which would be cheaper than a full plans application and would a least let you know if there are likely to be any obstacles to you getting approval.

What's wrong with pre-application advice where the majority of LA's do not charge?

would i be right in saying that as long as i stick to the current regs
and apply it to the origional building footprint ie , making sure that my new extension is no more than 4 meters from the back wall etc
then thats ok, of am i best just chatting to the planning people

You can extend on the rear up to 4m from the original house wall. You can extend on the side with an extension up to half the width of the original house. There are also restrictions on the height. However, what is not particularly clear is the bit in the corner between a side and rear extension. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonextensionreal/

It would be brave to proceed without at least a chat with planning, even if that chat was a positive one then a Certificate of Lawful Development ought to be applied for. This is a bit of a grey area under Permitted Development and whilst one planning officer may interpret the rules in a positive manner, another officer may interpret them differently!

would i be right in saying that as long as i stick to the current regs
and apply it to the origional building footprint ie , making sure that my new extension is no more than 4 meters from the back wall etc
then thats ok, of am i best just chatting to the planning people

And providing the property hasn't had their PD rights removed, etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back