roof tile vents.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an extension to a kitchen done professionally. The existing cooker hood used to exhaust thru a small chimney protruding thru tiles. The new roofer has replaced this with 2 roof tile vents. The cooker hood has a fairly powerful fan. I am concerned that the 2 roof tile vents may be inadequate to cope with the fan flow rate. Could anyone comment please?

Sponsored Links
Whilst the cooker hood motor may sound like its gonna take off, they tend to do a rubbish job of actually extracting any air, what type of roof vents are we talking about here?

They are plain tiles and 2 appear to have small gaps at the bottom. So i assume this is the vent section but am concerned that the vent area looks certainly less than the 3 inch pipe area that feeds out of the hood.
I am trying to send a phot of the tiles here. It's been uploaded to my album but not sure how to present it.
Thanks for the comment anyway.

I agree, that looks pathetically small. Get him to change it for something more suitable, the roofers will be along to suggest the best vent to use that matches your tiles.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to freddymercury'stwin for the comments.
deagles

Yes, and i have the extraction rate for the fan but i can't find any figure for any of the roof tile vents on the web.

You are better off fitting a lead slate or pitched multi-slate, with a short length of 110mm pipe through the roof terminating with a mushroom cowl.

Your extractor hose can then be fitted to the end of the short pipe.

My thanks to nose all for comments. Before i start to remove existing set up, can you tell me what the roof vent tile consists of? Does it have any sort of chamber below into which the fan flow pipe is connected, or is it simply a plain tile cocked up a bit to make a hole?

My question is about the existing roof tile vents. will the existing tiles (photo above) be specifically designed for venting or are they simply normal plain tiles fitted in such a way that they are propped open to provide an opening?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back