roof tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey there everyone,got a question for ya,you know the sort,always wanted to know,but too embarrassed to ask,i'm not a novice when it comes to roofing(i can usually be found chucking a forest of wood over the hole the brickies have left behind,with snarling and frothing roofers hot on me heels).anyway back to the question,when it comes to roofing where do you start. well,when i say start i mean start with the actual laying of the tiles. felt,battens,working out gauges and undercloak i understand.but,for a up and over roof with a verge on both ends where would you lay your first tile,would you lay all of the eave tiles first or not, assuming it's rosemary tiles of course,then again what about concrete interlocking tiles and slates.and where would you start if the roof is hipped.do you need to use a line vertically down the roof to keep the tiles straight. sorry to be long winded,just trying to cover all the bases. i'll bet noseall knows. thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
with concrete interlocking tiles we set out the first course 'dry' along the eaves and prior to fixing the undercloak, decide on the overhang and starter size, fix the cloak and lay from one end bedding the verge as we go.

we will then carry on laying along the roof in a diagonal stripe to the next gable working our way along and then bed out the verge to the untiled side.

this can be repeated on the other side except you bed the ridge as you come back. the last portion of ridge and verge is bedded off the scaffold.

on a hipped roof you can set out from the middle and work out to the hips, as the ridged hip gives you plenty of tolerance.

but with plain tiled hip roofs that incorporate bonnet hip tiles, now that's a different story. most roofers start and finish at the same hip working all the way round until the final hip. it means using tile-n-halves where necessary and a very precarious last hip to bed.

p.s. yes some roofers use a line on the bonnets. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back