Roof with no felt - how to stop backpointing and debris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is victorian and in the loft you can see roof tiles are exposed. I had the loft boarded out so we can use it for storage, but there is always lots of back pointing and dirt etc all over the floor. This then messes up the landing below when i open the loft hatch.

I was thinking of nailing some pieces of hard board against the rafters, which would mean most of the tiles are hidden and anything that comes loose would just fall onto the inside of the baords and slide dow, and out closer to the eaves. Are there any problems with doing this?

I also have an outhouse / coal shed, which I want to make more use of, but it gets really dirty for the same reasons. Is it ok to put some boards up hiding the inside of the tiles?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Going to buy some plastic membrane as suggested above, in order to try keep loft and outbuilding a little cleaner. Probably a stupid question but the membrane doesn't go immediately below the roof tiles does it, it gets stapled to the bottom of the rafters, which means an inevitable space between membrane and tiles?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What happens if condensation builds up? And where would it build up?

I was not planning on necessarily covering the whole of the roof, instead I would leave about 50cm of rafters and tiles exposed at each end of the loft. The centre of the loft and the area above the loft hatch would have membrane tacked to the rafters above to try and keep it a bit cleaner. Or does that make no different to the condensation problem? Can condensation rot the wood rafters?

Condensation will most likely form on the underside of the polythene and drip onto all the stuff in the loft below. It will be more of a nuisance.

For the benefit of nosybonk the original product I linked to was a breathable membrane not polythene.

Sounds like breathable membrane will be fine then. Can anyone recommend a brand and cheapest place to buy it? Thanks a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back