Roofer just cut back felt and left it - what do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, my first post on your forum.

I've just had a roofing firm replace my fascias, soffits and gutters plus bargeboards (overclad) on my 2-bed 1968 maisonette (roof is big concrete interlocking roof tiles). £1,700. Local firm covers south-east London and has Trust Mark, Fairtrades and CRC membership with 20+ positive feedbacks so I hoped I was safe.

Job looks beautiful from the ground, but before I paid I thought I'd put a ladder up and take a closer look. When they ripped down the old fascias thay cut/tore the felt drip edges off. I assumed they'd put eaves trays up because a)I'd asked for them b)the felt is tired a brittle and c) the quote says "fit upvc drip trays where necessary."

Instead I find nothing: no trays, no vent strips, no felt! I can't see how far back the felt is cut, but it certainly doesn't come past the fascia and nowhere near the gutter.

Doesn't that mean that the felt is draining into the soffit? Am I missing something or is that a terrible thing to do?

Should I insist on them lifting the lower course of tiles or can eaves trays be fitted by just pushing them under the tiles/felt. Should I even let these guys near my roof again after this? Not paid the bill yet.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If you have been quoted for and are paying for eaves trays they should be fitted.
The bottom couple of courses of tiles should be removed to fix the trays.

You must give the company a chance to rectify any problems.

As far as ventilation is concerned what was quoted for?

Thanks alastairreid. The website says they will "install hidden ventilation system" and the quote says "we will use ventilation strips to ensure constant airflow. Alternatively plug in vents...customers choice". I don't like the plug ins because they're unsightly and get dirty.

Am I right in thinking that vent strips can't be retrofitted because the fascia will be set too high. Or is it okay to wedge the tiles up another inch?

Maybe cutting the felt back and leaving it is the hidden ventilation system!!!

When they did the work, they were in a terrible rush. They had to wait 2-hours for the plastic to be delivered, but even so they started at 8am and drove off at 2.50pm. 2 guys. Nice profit. I was told before it was a day and a half's work. If the plastics had been delivered on time, it would have been half a day.

Did you check to see if they had fitted over fascia vents? Having over fascia vents installed would determine the size of the fascia, as this was overcladding the vents would be on top of the existing fascia and may kick up the bottom course of tiles.

It does sound as though the job was done as a hit and miss and i personally would be concerned about the quality of the workmanship...Maybe a few pics would help to determine this.

oops just re-read your original post i see it was only the barges which were overclad. :oops:

Sponsored Links
The bargeboards were supposed to be replaced too, but just as they were about to pull them down they discovered that they were more structural than they thought - holding the tile edges up I think. Anyway they suddenly wanted another £1,300 plus scaffolding to redo the verges, or overclad at the original price.

I'll try and get some photos, but its weathers not good and I'm not too great with ladders these days. I'll try though.

Here a some photos that give an idea of the work done. Fascias, soffits and gutters front and rear and overclad on the apex.

View media item 35912 View media item 35913 View media item 35914
From the ground it looks okay
View media item 35915From roof level, theres no sign of any felt or drip edges. The tiles run into the gutter, but the felt is draining somewhere back in the roof, probably into the soffits! Notice the tiles are out of alignment. Something has gone wrong with the angle of the bargeboard and they propped up the adjoining tiles with little chunks of old mortar wedged on top of the facia to try and hide the gaps! :rolleyes:
View media item 35916

The fascia they have installed is slightly shallower than the original which has caused the eave course to drop slightly and the verge tiles at the eaves have remained in-situ because they are fixed in place with the mortar bed and the undercloak. Thats whats causing the alignment problem at the eave/verge.

I would defer payment till you get the vent and eave tray issues sorted out.
If they are reputable they should not have a problem with that.

The bargeboards were supposed to be replaced too, but just as they were about to pull them down they discovered that they were more structural than they thought - holding the tile edges up I think. .
Probably because the verge undercloak is small tiles , not long strips of cement board or cement slates - what you have is very common for the age of the property ( I used to live in virtually the same house in sussex) But when I had my barge boards replaced years ago , the potential for the tiles to dislodge was pointed out @ the start . This should be obvious to anyone doing roofline replacements - and one row of poly head nails along the barge isn`t what I got either ! I had 2 rows .As said , If they are reputable .........

If you have a contract for eaves trays they should be fitted, same with the ventilation

As far as the bottom couple of courses of tiles should be removed to fix the trays.

The company deserves a chance to rectify any problems as you believed in them to begin with.

I dunno why threads aren't locked after say 4 months inactive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back